1991 Sears/Craftsman Garage Door Opener Keypad - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

1991 Sears/Craftsman Garage Door Opener Keypad

We have a 1991 Sears/Craftsman Garage Door Opener Model 139.53615SR-1/2HP. We would like to get a keypad entry for the garage door. Is it possible to get a keypad entry for the door since it was made in 91'?

THANKS!

Advertisement

awl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,514

Take a look at the Genie 35674r. It's a wired Keypad that works thru the push button terminals so it should work with your opener.

I would give some thought to whether I would invest in your current opener, or replace it.

The Sears units were built by Chamberlain LiftMaster. They have taken the position that the pre-93 products (without sensors) should be replaced rather than repaired. So they offer no parts or technical support for those units.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

There are a few sites that you can get parts for the older systems. Most that are sold under the Craftsman name, are made by Genie, etc..
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 170

Not Genie,
Craftsman openers have been built by chamberlain for a very long time. I have a craftsman from 1985 that is still in use and basically only the electronics have changed when compared to a new chamberlain.

Not sure they ever made the wireless keypads to work with dip switches, the reason is security. If you opened the keypad you would be able to see the settings of the dip switches, copy the dip switch settings to a remote and open the door. This would not be secure at all. I had several of these old openers and I even changed out my own because I wanted a keypad. I installed the Genie keypad mentioned above but it did not last very long and required a very large hole to feed a ribbon cable from the outside keypad into the inside control box. The ribbon cable was very short and would not reach through a finished wall.

A better solution would be to install a piggyback receiver. These work with the current frequencies and have modern rolling code technology. You could then use new style remotes, new keypads and have the benefit of rolling code security. These piggyback receivers plug into an outlet and connect to the opener with 2 wires, the same two that connect to the wired push button inside the garage. Install is very simple.

The problem is by the time you buy the receiver and a keypad you are well on your way to buying a whole new opener. The receiver and one remote sells for around $40, the keypad for another $20 or so. Operating range is sometimes questionable, not nearly as good as the new openers have.

Last edited by iamrfixit; 04-06-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added links
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamrfixit For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

I have one out in the garage, that used a keypad, and the controller has dip switches inside of it matter of fact. I tossed the keypad, because every time the power went out, the 9volt battery would drain, and then the keypad would go back to the factory set code, which made it too easy to break in.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote