Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

16v Doorbell voltage safety

I managed to cut all of our doorbell wires at some point. They said BELL on them, and I thought they were old MA BELL telephone wires (we have no phones)

I was able to successfully trace 3 wires to the main bell - 1 comes from the side door ringer. 2 of them have continuity with four wires in the garage where the transformer is. I also traced a wire from the side ringer to 3 wires in the garage. The issue I have with hooking these back up is I have 3 wires either split or terminating in an unknown location? Is this something to be concerned about?

I would love to just run fresh wires but our basement is finished. I already did the smart job of pulling the wires all the way out from the front door ringer without fishing new ones through (couldn't find the ends anyway).

pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

If you "cut them all" in multiple places, you will either need to find out where you cut them and figure out how to splice them back, or just replace the wires. Everyone needs a new doorbell....lol

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #3

Just get one of those battery powered buttons that wirelessly rings a "bell" that you plug into the wall.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I agree with Perpetual, would be easy enough to go with a wireless, you only have to "giveup" one slot on a recepticle to plug in the unit. As for the left over wires from your old one, maybe one of the sparky's can chime in on what you should do as far as disconnecting the wires on the transformer.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #5

The transformer is not connected right now. The wireless bells do not work well. They are pretty cheesy and go off randomly and sometimes don't go off when people push the button. Also we'd like a chime in the basement where my office is, as well as upstairs, plus separate tones for side and front door. This is how the house was before I messed it up.

I have traced 2 wires from the basement to the bell, and one wire from the side ringer to the bell, and one from the bell to the basement. But in the basement, there's not only 1 wire for each of these. For example from one of the wires at the ringer button, there are 3 wires in the basement. I could make some sense of this if there were 3 ringers maybe? I don't know where these are spliced. My initial thought is to NOT put voltage to a wire where I don't know where else it is going, other than to the ringer button.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,004

Why don't you look up the user manual for your door bell or another like it. Or just search for "door bell" wiring diagram. Look at the wiring diagram and you will easily figure this out. Once you see it on paper you will understand completely.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote