Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Share |

14 guage and 20 amp

a side from code, which i am not going to worry about will 14 wire handle 20 amp breaker? the wire is burried underground, in pvc covered by water in a pond in the middle of nowhere is there serious risk, other than code violation??????

muckbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Electrician

14 guage and 20 amp

Yes.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #3

Exclamation

14 guage and 20 amp

1. What type of load is it?
2. What is the distance from the breaker to the load?
3. What size conduit?
4. How many conductors in the conduit?

The answer without knowing this information: Maybe but there is a good chance that saving yourself a few bucks will mean redoing what sounds like a PITA project soon.
DownRiverGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #4

14 guage and 20 amp

running one outlet for a underwater agitator Start up is 30 amps, running is 7 amps it's 150 feet from the breaker the conduit it 1 inch, directions say to plug into 20amps, have the breaker, ran the wrong wire, and now it burried and cased
Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

14 guage and 20 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbottom View Post
running one outlet for a underwater agitator Start up is 30 amps, running is 7 amps it's 150 feet from the breaker the conduit it 1 inch, directions say to plug into 20amps, have the breaker, ran the wrong wire, and now it burried and cased
There are couple items that need to dealt with it.

One is you need RCD { GFCI } on this circuit.

Second is the conductor is THHN/THWN if so and in the conduit it will be pretty easy to swap over 4.0mm˛ {#12 AWG } if you don't want to swap the conductors then you have to change the breaker from 20 amp to 15 amp breaker.

The start up current will not affect the 15 amp breaker due only start up for couple seconds.

At the end of the conduit did you have weatherpoof juction box with in use cover on it ?? those are requried per NEC code.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #6

14 guage and 20 amp

Thanks, i can just switch the 20 out for 15, i was worried about the fan directions saying 20 amps, but if the 30 startup wont affect the 15 amp breakers i'm good?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

14 guage and 20 amp

Hmm.... is there anyway to disconnect the wire on either side... tape it and pull it back out?

150' is a bit of a ways to go and I'd be concerned about voltage drop.
Espically when you're talking about a motor load...

At 30 amps you're talking about almost 25% voltage drop with that distance... so when the motor starts up it will be seeing 90V instead of 120V... depending on the operating range/how robust the motor is you may run into issues immediantily or down the line.

I agree with Marc for sure! Weatherproof box with in use cover, GFCI outlet, and swap the breaker to 15A!

Now if it works at that point... eh most likely... but dont be upset if a few months down the road you need to buy a new agitator.
DownRiverGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Electrician

14 guage and 20 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
There are couple items that need to dealt with it.

One is you need RCD { GFCI } on this circuit.

Second is the conductor is THHN/THWN if so and in the conduit it will be pretty easy to swap over 4.0mm˛ {#12 AWG } if you don't want to swap the conductors then you have to change the breaker from 20 amp to 15 amp breaker.

The start up current will not affect the 15 amp breaker due only start up for couple seconds.

At the end of the conduit did you have weatherpoof juction box with in use cover on it ?? those are requried per NEC code.

Merci.
Marc
He doesn't care about GFCI's or code, he just wants to know it "14 wire handle 20 amp breaker?"

At least he is honest up front, I can appreciate that.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

14 guage and 20 amp

DownRiverGuy.,

As you noticed the OP mention underwater agitator I know they will start under the load but light load until get near full speed it will ramp up pretty good just like a propeller in the boat.

muckbottom.,

If the starting period is very short it will not be a issue the underwater agitator is not too bad compare like some other motour that really have to start under hevey load one example is air compressor I know some case they will start under the load { most will start unloaded }

And yeah you can see why I mention weatherproof box due you may change or pull the underwater agitator motour out pretty often to clean up the gunk { I have see it from time to time }

And the distance you have there with 7 amp load that is pretty good load on it.

Really I rather the conductor to be increase to 4.0mm˛ {#12AWG} to handle the voltage drop pretty good if you want to go that route due you have in conduit so it will be easy to swap it over.

Merci.
Marc
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #10

14 guage and 20 amp

At $700 for the agitator, i think i'll just try to pull the wire, if that don't work guess i will just run new conduit and 12 wire like i should have. The old breaker can be swapped to 15, I keep the 14 in the ground and maybe i can plug in skillet or coffee maker!!!

thanks for all the help guys - much appreciated!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
" Euro " electrician

14 guage and 20 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
He doesn't care about GFCI's or code, he just wants to know it "14 wire handle 20 amp breaker?"

At least he is honest up front, I can appreciate that.
That true as long the OP is direct with the issue it will make it easier for the OP to guide it along the way.

Merci.
Marc
Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Electrician

14 guage and 20 amp

Quote:
At $700 for the agitator, i think i'll just try to pull the wire,
Good choice!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

14 guage and 20 amp

Quote:
At $700 for the agitator, i think i'll just try to pull the wire, if that don't work guess i will just run new conduit and 12 wire like i should have. The old breaker can be swapped to 15, I keep the 14 in the ground and maybe i can plug in skillet or coffee maker!!!

thanks for all the help guys - much appreciated!!!
Just keep your 1 inch conduit { pipe } alone you don't have to do anything with it just pull the conductor { wire } out and pull the new one in.

Second thing please do not keep the 2.5mm˛{#14 AWG} for grounding purpose you will have to bump up to 4.0mm˛ to keep the same size as other conductors due the key issue with distance it will help with the OCPD { over current protction device like breaker or fuse }

Merci.
Marc