14/3 Power Cord In Conduit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

14/3 Power Cord in conduit

I want to install a motion light for the steps and walkway on my open front porch. I currently have an outlet under my eave a short distance from the porch location I want to install the light. The outlet is on an indoor switch and was installed by the builder for Xmas lights. I use the outlet from time to time for various power tools in my driveway via an extension cord. I would like to keep the existing outlet, install a weatherproof outlet box, mount a raised 4 inch weatherproof box for my motion light and run a 5 foot 14/3 stranded wire power tool replacement cord from the outlet to the motion light. I am concerned that the power cord should be protected from the elements. Can I safely run the 5 foot power cord from the outlet to the light through 1/2 inch electric conduit? Would it be better to buy a length of weatherproof or underground wire and add a plug? If yes, could you recommend a very good all weather plug? I've had problems in the past with faulty plugs. Using a power cord with a molded 3-prong plug attached would be ideal for me providing it is safe. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

NotSoElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

You cannot use romex outside, period.

If you are using conduit, then run individual THWN conductors. They sell this at HD/Lowe's.

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,892

Flexible cord cannot be used as a substitute for building wiring. Use THWN conductors in conduit like Andy suggested.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

It is a pain in the a$$, but you can use UF in conduit.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

I guess I didn't read closely enough...i saw 14/3 and assumed he meant romex. I agree with Jim... You definitely cannot use the cord you are planning to use for building wiring.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
I guess I didn't read closely enough...i saw 14/3 and assumed he meant romex. I agree with Jim... You definitely cannot use the cord you are planning to use for building wiring.
Either way, cord or romex won't cut as you said. I was just offering an alternative to single THWN conductors.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

Regardless of what kind of wire you use (which can't be flexible cord or romex), you can't plug your light into the receptacle. You need to wire it in. Since there's a receptacle right there, that won't be too difficult.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
You cannot use romex outside, period.

If you are using conduit, then run individual THWN conductors. They sell this at HD/Lowe's.
When you say Romex, I think you are going to confuse people. Romex, while often used as a trade name for NM, makes all sorts of wire. For example, I have a roll of Romex UF-B that is perfectly acceptable outside, under direct UV light.

While NM-B would not be acceptable.

-- Joe
anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoElectric View Post
I want to install a motion light for the steps and walkway on my open front porch. I currently have an outlet under my eave a short distance from the porch location I want to install the light. The outlet is on an indoor switch and was installed by the builder for Xmas lights. I use the outlet from time to time for various power tools in my driveway via an extension cord. I would like to keep the existing outlet, install a weatherproof outlet box, mount a raised 4 inch weatherproof box for my motion light and run a 5 foot 14/3 stranded wire power tool replacement cord from the outlet to the motion light. I am concerned that the power cord should be protected from the elements. Can I safely run the 5 foot power cord from the outlet to the light through 1/2 inch electric conduit? Would it be better to buy a length of weatherproof or underground wire and add a plug? If yes, could you recommend a very good all weather plug? I've had problems in the past with faulty plugs. Using a power cord with a molded 3-prong plug attached would be ideal for me providing it is safe. Thanks in advance!
If you purchase a motion light with a UL listed outdoor cord and plug, you can use it for this application (you wouldn't use the conduit). I must add, the device must also be approved for "current interruption". Otherwise, it is NOT meant to be switched.

If you are intending on purchasing a light assembly mean to be hard wired, you could not wire a cord to it and plug it in.

The difference is the intended use of the device. A weather resistant "assembly complete with cord" versus a product meant to be installed per electrical codes and regulations.

-- Joe

Last edited by anesthes; 09-05-2011 at 09:21 AM.
anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthes View Post
When you say Romex, I think you are going to confuse people. Romex, while often used as a trade name for NM, makes all sorts of wire. For example, I have a roll of Romex UF-B that is perfectly acceptable outside, under direct UV light.

-- Joe
Fair enough, but 99% of the world calls NM-B romex

Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthes View Post

-- Joe
Quote:
Fair enough, but 99% of the world calls NM-B romex
About like Formica and Coke....trade names but people associate it with a product....

FWIW.....I call it Romex....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote