Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Share |

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

i have K&T, that i am replacing. at the same time, i am sistering 2x6's to the original 2x4 ceiling joists, to hold the new drywall and insulation.

the problem, is that the K&T runs in the original 2x4 joists. from front of house (where the panel is), to the back of the house (where the kitchen is).
so, to be able to sister the new joists, i have to remove the K&T. but i still neeed power to the kitchen. so i am going to run a temp wire to the back of the house. after the ceiling is done, i will put permanent wiring.

aannyywwaayy .... would 14/2 be ok to run the new fridge and a few other little things (idk what yet, have yet to check that) ?

Last edited by Fix'n it; 09-23-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

In most cases, a 15 A circuit is fine for a fridge. If you are using power tools on the same circuit, I am going to assume you will encounter some overloading of the circuit.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

If you're running a new circuit to the fridge 14/2 is most likely fine, but you cannot have "other things" on this circuit.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #4

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

great, thanx. no power tool usage. when the kitchen remodel takes place, all new wiring for everything will go in.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #5

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

i was just thinking. i have enough 14/3. idk how the kitchen is wired now. but if i can, i will run the fridge off 1 wire, then the rest of the "whatever" off the other wire.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #6

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

i just looked in the owners emanual. it doesn't even say the power consumption , sheeesh.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #7

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

ok, i just checked. that curcuit runs the whole back of the house, except the micro and gas stove. so, it would be the fridge and a bunch of lights. but those lights are hardly ever on and they are all cfl's anyway. and, in the panel, is a 14g wire. so i think i will be ok.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

You need separate dedicated circuit for refrigerator, some codes require it, 15 amp #14 gauge wire minimum, 20 amp on 12 is better. Microwave and dishwasher should have separate circuits, 15 amp #14 gauge wire minimum, 20 amp on 12 is better. Depending on wattage, just one light bulb, or can opener, food processor etc. mite be enuff to overload circuit . Sometimes when incandescent bulbs blow, the filament shorts and trips circuit or if reefer or microwave overload, you could be left in dark. At least one light should be on circuit separate from other lights. All lights and/or all outlets should not be on same circuit. That's minimum of 3 circuits in kitchen.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #9

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

yeah, i plan to do that. but right now, no way. i don't have the time. i am getting the living room and dining room ready for a demo this coming weekend = has to be done soon.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #10

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

i ran the 14/2 as a temp run. the house is still standing and not on fire.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Banned Electrician

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
You need separate dedicated circuit for refrigerator, some codes require it, 15 amp #14 gauge wire minimum, 20 amp on 12 is better. Microwave and dishwasher should have separate circuits, 15 amp #14 gauge wire minimum, 20 amp on 12 is better. Depending on wattage, just one light bulb, or can opener, food processor etc. mite be enuff to overload circuit . Sometimes when incandescent bulbs blow, the filament shorts and trips circuit or if reefer or microwave overload, you could be left in dark. At least one light should be on circuit separate from other lights. All lights and/or all outlets should not be on same circuit. That's minimum of 3 circuits in kitchen.
All the receptacles in a kitchen must be on 20 amp circuits except the refrigerator which can be on a 15 amp circuit with no other loads.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Bombastic Idiot

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

Its only been 6 days since last post. All authorities insist on at least a week for proper test. Spend all day tomorrow in church, for family's safety sake.

May have to visit several denominations at different times, Various family members may be converted to feuding sects. Do not attend services at any fire or lightening worshipers. Also avoid Church of Holy Spoiled Potato Salad.

I recommend any small church with visiting Circuit Riding preacher.

Watch Saints game instead of Red Skins or Chargers.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #13
Banned Electrician

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

Quote:
Its only been 6 days since last post. All authorities insist on at least a week for proper test. Spend all day tomorrow in church, for family's safety sake.

May have to visit several denominations at different times, Various family members may be converted to feuding sects. Do not attend services at any fire or lightening worshipers. Also avoid Church of Holy Spoiled Potato Salad.

I recommend any small church with visiting Circuit Riding preacher.

Watch Saints game instead of Red Skins or Chargers.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Electrician

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

Quote:
You need separate dedicated circuit for refrigerator, some codes require it, 15 amp #14 gauge wire minimum, 20 amp on 12 is better. Microwave and dishwasher should have separate circuits, 15 amp #14 gauge wire minimum, 20 amp on 12 is better.
Why is a 20A circuit and #12 better. I have never seen a fridge or microwave with a 20A plug on it. Why waste the money(i know its not much) and run #12 when it is a dedicated circuit and no chance of ever using the full capacity of the 20A breaker.

14/2 on a 15A breaker is fine for your fridge.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Bombastic Idiot

is 14/2 ok for fridge ?

"Why is a 20A circuit and #12 better" Have you seen the size of some of the things today? Just a few years ago those would have been considered commercial units. I blame it on Costco etc. Folks gotta have some place to put 500 frozen pizzas. And all kinds of gee-gaws, ice crushers, chippers, grinders, shavers; piggy back compressors for "KwikIce FastFreeze, Quick chill for frequent or lengthy door opening." Mite even be a feature to figure your income tax.

Some require 20/12 in installation manual. Our new one recommended it, with instruction to seek qualified electrician to change plug. Talk in our area, rumors among builders&electricians I know anyway, of using, possibly requiring, #12 on 15A in new construction on reefer etc. circuits for easy swap out as they seem to be getting biger and bigger.

"14/2 on a 15A breaker is fine for your fridge. " Usually. 90+% of time. But if re-wiring any way, just a few cents more, depending on length of run.

Some reefers as they get older get stubborn compressors. Just left thread in that "inferior forum" guy had old reefer for free, gonna be garage beer box. Would sometimes start, then wouldn't re-start just hum, sometimes blew 15A circuit. After all sorts of advice, installed a short 20A circuit, so far no problems.

" I have never seen a fridge or microwave with a 20A plug on it" I have. And here is quote from a big box buying guide, "Appliances, such as microwaves, often have 20-amp plugs and must be plugged into a 20-amp outlet."

So, IMHO, if rewiring anyway; and considering type of reefer, microwave, whatever; and costs involved ,20 on 12 is "better."