120v LED Lights Won't Go All The Way Off On Dimmer Circuit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

120v LED lights won't go all the way off on dimmer circuit

I just installed a 50' length of 120v LED rope lighting on a screenporch. The lights were put on a standard 600w dimmer (push on/off, rotate dim) and they work fine with the dimmer on. However, they will not go all the way off, having a very slight glow when the switch is powered off. The manufacturer states the lights are dimmable with standard dimmers. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

djrmoose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I have similar problems with some of the electronic dimmers (insteon) that I use. These, unfortunately, allow a small current to pass (even when off) that is often enough to cause LEDs to glow. My solution is to add more lights or more load. Unfortunately, that defeats the purpose of LEDs.

I can only conclude that your dimmer switch must not completely separate the connection, allowing a small current when off. These problems are often not noticable with incandescent bulbs. I am surprise that the type of dimmer you describe suffers this problem and cannot help but think that there ARE dimmers out there that completely shut off connection to the load. So long that your dimmer is a mechanical relay for on and off, I would expect it to work fine.

Have you tried a voltage meter or measured the resistance of your switch (be careful here to unhook you switch when measuring resistance)? Is it possible that your dimmer is somehow faulty?

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,044

If you push the knob to turn the dimmer off as you described, the lights should have gone off completely.

If the power comes to the light fixture and a cable goes from there down to the switch, you can get phantom or induced or leakage current into the part of the circuit that is switched. But I did not expect this to be enough to light up a group of LED's.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-22-2010 at 08:45 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The dimmer i was using had an LED indicator light. Internet research stated the device would still have to allow current flow to light the LED which could cause enough flow to illuminate the rope lighting. I replaced the dimmer with a standard, non-lit version (Lutron 600w toggle w/side dimmer) and it works like a dream!! Thanks for your input!!
djrmoose17 is offline   Reply With Quote