120v In Ground Wire? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2016, 03:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Question

120v in ground wire?

I have been trying to figure out huge electrical problem had someone install new electrical panel box. Then renter did something to electrical wiring. Have ran new wires and outlets through most of the house. In attic there is still old wiring going to the lights in house it is run with insulators and wiring going in like light to light in sequence almost like making a loop. I can't make heads or tales of it but lights seem to work fine. Noticed some lines had 30, 50, 70, down to 12 volts running through them. Some of the things plunged into outlets wouldn't get enough power then some seemed to get to much. I have got 119 volts on some outlets now and some with 121 122ish volts now but about electrocuted myself undoing bare wire grounds going to a outlet how can my outlets work and still have 120 volts going through ground wires. I read that in panel box neutral wires need to be connected on one side of panel box and ground wires on other so I completed that step there were ground wires connected on neutral side and neutral on ground side but after completing that still have same problem. Do I need to go through every outlet and socket to make sure there isn't some wire connected in the wrong place. I need suggestions don't know if panel box ground and neutral bars are correct in panel box. I don't see anything different from one side of the panel box to the other. As far as the ground wire side and the neutral side they look identical

Advertisement

Beauty9375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,282

sounds like a multitude of problems. I am going to suspect, based on the voltage fluctuations, that you have a compromised neutral either in one circuit or in the entire system. With voltage being on the ground like it is you may have a bootleg ground happening somewhere in a receptacle or with the bad neutral the voltage is using the ground as a path back to source.

Advertisement

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 1,706

Beauty9375, from the sound of it this is not something you should even be messing with. Have an electrician come out to evaluate your situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (03-04-2016), mpoulton (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 9,740

Quote:
Some of the things plunged into outlets wouldn't get enough power then some seemed to get to much.
Indicates an open neutral situation.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote