DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   120v to 12v converter? (

Hollow 11-18-2007 03:17 AM

120v to 12v converter?
Im trying to install a bilge blower from a boat in my aquarium. Im not sure how to wire it since it was made for a boat. Im assuming I need some kind of converter. I have no electrical experience so ill post a link with the product and specs.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

elkangorito 11-18-2007 06:51 AM

More information needed.

Do you require 12 volts AC or DC? How big is this "blower"? Please supply all details like;

1] voltage requirements.
2] current requirements.
3] power (Watts).
4] AC or DC.
5] approximate physical size of the blower.

Hollow 11-18-2007 06:54 AM

Housing is molded tough corrosion-proof ABS plastic. Rugged built-in mounting brackets for easy installation. Molded tabs on all hose flanges provide positive hose connections. Ignition protected
Spark proof
4" (10.16cm) Intake
4" (10.16cm) Exhaust with remote bracket
5-3/4" (14.61cm) Length
4-3/4" (12.07cm) Mounted height
CFM 240 Air movement.
Ignition protected 12V DC, 4.5 Amps
Use 5 Amp fuse.

Blower meets or exceeds these standards: ABYCH H-2
NMMA Certified
USCG 33 CFR Sections 183.410 and 183.425
ISO 9097
UL Listed
UL 1128 Standard Marine blowers.

Hollow 11-18-2007 06:55 AM

thats all I know

elkangorito 11-18-2007 07:03 AM

From the information that you have provided, you need a commercially available 120 volts AC (single phase) to 12 volts DC power supply, rated at a minimum 60VA (60 Watts). My ideal choice would be to get an 80VA power supply but they may not be available. If all else fails, get a 100VA power supply.

jwhite 11-18-2007 07:13 AM

You will need a power supply similar to the ones shown on this page

13.8 is the often the actual operating voltage of a 12 volt system while the batteries are being charged by the alternator.

If you use one like this you will also need an in line fuse. The tech page recommends 5 amp fuse.

I did not look, but you may find something from a security company. Those systems often use 12 volt, but I am not sure that you will get 5 amps. Often those systems only use 500 or so ma.

You may get good results by stopping by a car audio store. It is very common for people to buy power supplies to either bench test equipment, or use their car stereo in the garage.

Speedy Petey 11-18-2007 08:42 AM

I would get a 10-15A PS at the smallest. You can get these all day on Ebay. I would not get the 5A supply, this is right at the load of the fan and you want some cushion.

Do you really need a 4" ducted fan for a fish tank ?????
240CFM is a LOT of air!

arichard21 11-18-2007 08:50 AM

the question also should be why do you need a bildge BLOWER for a fish tank... do you need to ventilate the tank?

are you sure you dont need a bildge PUMP? they are 2 totally different things. a blower will evacuate fumes from the engine compartment of an ib/ob while a bildge PUMP pumps water from the bildge of the boat. it would make more sense that if it is for a fish tank, then a pump would be what is needed..

but i could be wrong too.

joed 11-18-2007 08:52 AM

Use an old PC power supply. The yellow and black are the 12 volt power lines.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1