Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

12-3 cable for Above Ground Pool?

Hello Gurus.
So we installed an above ground pool. I chose to pull the permit myself and run the electrical myself. My brother is a licensed Master electrician and he said I should be able to do this now on my own since working with him and learning from him. Also, I've been unable to get a hold him as he's been working like crazy.
So the electrical insp wanted UF cable and in conduit which is overkill. So I ran 12-3 UF cable in underground conduit and took pictures then all my brother had and gave to me was 12-3 NM cable which I spliced inside in J-box. So without going to buy 50+ feet of 12-2, I just used the 12-3. My brother said that's good in case I ever want to add a deck light/lamp or another outlet out near the pool, i can just share a neutral. However, my bro is on a big project and has been unavailable and I really want to finish up this project. Note: The bonding is all set and completed. 18-24" #8 AWG solid bare copper wire, direct burial lugs and trench 4-6" deep. Bonded Water and pump.
About the 12/3. Am I supposed to just cap the white cable with orange wirenut and use the red, black and ground for the 20A twist lock receptacle? And on the other end in the panel, do the same except naturally ground to ground bar and neutral pigtail on GFCI to neutral bar? I guess my question is having the extra wire, which do I use and can you cap or not use one in the panel?
Thanks,
~S

Skelleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Your electrical inspector is wrong,,,you cannot use UF for a pool. You need an insulated ground.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Agreed. As for the wire just pick one and cap it off. Doesn't matter which one. Although its moot point without the right wire installed.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote