Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

110v Volt power sensing/switching relay

Hello!

I have been trying to figure out how to use a relay to sense when 110v power is turned on to a standard power outlet (this outlet will be turned on by a control panel that runs a refill pump for my aquarium reservoir).

When the relay would sense this 110V outlet being powered up, it would then complete a standard simple switch and close a switch to alert my primary control panel that that outlet has turned on. Once the main panel gets the switch closed signal, it would then start a series of necessary automations related to dosing my chemicals in the aquarium. My main control panel has its own voltage, so I cant send voltage to it if that makes any sense.

I envision this as being a sort of "piggyback" extension plug i'd plug into the outlet I want to monitor, then plug the pump into the backside of the piggy back. The extension cord lead then would connect to the relay, and out the other side will be the simple low voltage wires to handle the open/close switching signaling to my other main control panel.

I've just never worked with relays and researching Ia am sooo confused. If anyone can provide guidance, and a link to order the proper relay and other parts, i'd be very appreciative! Locally I can purchase from McMaster Carr, Grainger, and the traditional "box stores".

cbechdel is offline   Reply With Quote