11 Ground Termination Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,219
Rewards Points: 2,408
Default

11 ground termination question


I have 7... 14 awg cables entering a 4 gang plastic box with 4 3-way switches. 3 cables coming from the other 3 ways and 3 cables leaving for the loads (one is a 14/3 using the 4th switch) and also the incoming power cable. Thats seven cable equipment grounds and 4 device pigtails totaling 11 bare grounds. I'm curious the different ways you guys would handle the termination of the grounds as to wirenuts, jumpers etc....

Advertisement

Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

11 ground termination question


Not sure how many you can get in a Buchanan by listing, but that might be more fun than a wire nut.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

11 ground termination question


Stubbie did you say 11 ??

Okie did you try big bleu wirenut that should work.,, otherwise split in two sets about half each and run a jumper wire between the two.

Normally i rather go with latter route unless this was a junction box point then go for it.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

11 ground termination question


I think I could get 11 #14 grounds under a blue nut. Bare grounds are pretty easy to lay next to each other. If they didn't want to squeeze in there, I'd probably twist them together tightly for a few inches to ensure a quality connection, then put the nut on.

If That didn't work, I'd split them up 5-6 and put a jumper between two nuts.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

11 ground termination question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
I have 7... 14 awg cables entering a 4 gang plastic box with 4 3-way switches. 3 cables coming from the other 3 ways and 3 cables leaving for the loads (one is a 14/3 using the 4th switch) and also the incoming power cable. Thats seven cable equipment grounds and 4 device pigtails totaling 11 bare grounds. I'm curious the different ways you guys would handle the termination of the grounds as to wirenuts, jumpers etc....


Simple, I would leave 4 of the grounds longer than the rest and just use a crimp, heck, I might even leave just one of the grounds really long and use a green wire nut.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

11 ground termination question


I always forget about crimps
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

11 ground termination question


IIRC the crimps useally can take 4-6 depending if it is 12 or 14's

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 272
Rewards Points: 250
Default

11 ground termination question


What I would worry about is that with 11 conductors, some are bound to be caught "in the middle", meaning they would just be squished between the outer conductors instead of being twisted with them or being bonded by the metal of the wire nut. I would think they can "fall out" of their middle spot as the bundle gets pushed around in the box.

I would feed good with this, using 3 wire nuts or crimps, each with 4 grounds and the switches jumpered together:

BTW, this is one reason I don't agree with the box fill requirements counting all grounds as one allowance. They certainly take up space. In your case, the box fill would be 24 allowances, or 48 cu in.

__________________
Willis
williswires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

11 ground termination question


Wills.,

Just one question related to your drawing about ground wire on the swiches did you just make a pigtail for each one or just loop format ?

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 272
Rewards Points: 250
Default

11 ground termination question


I was thinking a loop...
__________________
Willis
williswires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Licensed Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 1,545
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

11 ground termination question


8 hole Wago: 7 holes for the cables, 1 hole for a long piece looped around each switch. Folds in the box nicely.
__________________
"Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor
 
kbsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,368
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

11 ground termination question


You could mount a ground bar kit in the back of that box.

Get one with 15 spaces in it ... Square D PK-15GTA. 11 for the wires, and 4 spares.

Last edited by kbsparky; 09-10-2008 at 09:49 PM.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

11 ground termination question


Quote:
Originally Posted by williswires View Post
What I would worry about is that with 11 conductors, some are bound to be caught "in the middle", meaning they would just be squished between the outer conductors instead of being twisted with them or being bonded by the metal of the wire nut. I would think they can "fall out" of their middle spot as the bundle gets pushed around in the box.



If the wire nut is listed for 11 conductors, then there will be no problem.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,219
Rewards Points: 2,408
Default

11 ground termination question


Ok guys thanks I was on a job and had this situation so I played with it some and was just wanting to see how all of you would terminate the grounds. Usually I would just use wirenuts and a jumper as 220/221 mentioned, I never liked 11 in one wire nut. I mentioned the pigtails to each switch just to make sure I covered the likely maximum # of grounds. I found two ways that I liked the best. Twisted all seven neatly and left one long enough to catch all the switches using a greenie as Chris mentioned. The other was the one Househelper mentioned an 8 hole wago. I liked the wago the best.


EDIT: Doesn't make any difference but the 4th switch was not a 3 way but a single pole for the fan motor on a ceiling fan.

Last edited by Stubbie; 09-10-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #15
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

11 ground termination question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Ok guys thanks I was on a job and had this situation so I played with it some and was just wanting to see how all of you would terminate the grounds. Usually I would just use wirenuts and a jumper as 220/221 mentioned, I never liked 11 in one wire nut. I mentioned the pigtails to each switch just to make sure I covered the likely maximum # of grounds. I found two ways that I liked the best. Twisted all seven neatly and left one long enough to catch all the switches using a greenie as Chris mentioned. The other was the one Househelper mentioned an 8 hole wago. I liked the wago the best.

Personally, if the box was a 4 gang I would have used a metal box.

Advertisement

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This doesnt seem right. JoulesWinfield Electrical 27 07-26-2009 08:40 PM
Ground question. mystery guest Electrical 5 07-24-2008 01:47 PM
Quick question: No ground bar in panel? dawho1 Electrical 3 04-06-2008 11:17 AM
Ground Clamps Question integlikewhoa Electrical 40 02-28-2008 10:13 PM
Subpanel feeder questions Silhanek Electrical 4 03-22-2007 07:30 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts