100amps Meter With 200amp Breaker Box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

100amps meter with 200amp breaker box?

In the course of rewiring my entire house, I decided to put in a new 200amp breaker box to upgrade from the 100. Both are SquareD, btw.

All of the new circuits were run into the new box. Now I would like to switch over to that box, but am out of money at the moment. Is it possible/safe to run the 200 amp box from the 100 amp meter and feeder wires? There is NO danger of going over the 100amps, I just want to be able to put my kitchen back together.

This will only be a temporary situation until I can get some funds together to finish the upgrade.

Any help or advice would be great.


Snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

You can make any thing work but if you happen To have an episode before you can complete the service and have it inspected, your insurance co could be laughing at you.


Louieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 682
Rewards Points: 500

I won't laugh. Temporary feeding new equipment while waiting for the next phase of a project is done every day in this business. As you said the key is to do so in a safe manner.

Your trouble will be finding a 100 sub feed breaker for a 100 amp panel. You will most likely only be able to get 60 or 80 amp breaker to feed the new panel. During the temp power phase the tie bar between the grounds and neutral will need to be taken out and the new panel will need to be treated as a sub panel. all of the grounds will need to be on a seperate ground bar. Dont loose the tie bar, you will need to put it back later.

Just wire the new 200 amp panel as if it were any other sub panel. You will need four wires in your feeder, two hot, one neutral and one ground. you will also have to back feed a breaker there, since the 200 amp breaker will not have lugs rated to go small enough for the wire size you will be using. So if you can find a 60 amp breaker for the old panel, use a 60 amp breaker temp in the new panel and back feed through it.
Master Electrician
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks JWhite

It looks like it may be a simpler matter to just scrounge up some money for materials!

I know i should have put the service upgrade in first, but sometimes when you think you're being smart, you are just causing headaches down the road.

FYI, trying to rewire an entire house, while living in it at the same time is a headache
Snooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circuit breaker panel - Advice needed justtired Electrical 15 12-13-2007 05:55 AM
Outdoor breaker panel questions lhoney2 Electrical 12 07-19-2007 05:44 PM
Breaker Buzz SkipI Electrical 2 07-13-2007 07:48 PM
Main Breaker Trips Repeatedly kkf Electrical 7 06-18-2007 04:31 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1