Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

100amp service to 200amp service - double or single panel

Hi. I am adding an addition as well as remodeling an existing cape cod here in New Jersey. There was a 100amp service installed when the house was moved about 12 years ago. You can see the pictures. I have plenty of room and the meter is directly outside above the service panel.

I did a total amp calculation and I require about a 130amp service. My original plan was to swap out the 100amp panel for a new 200amp panel, reusing the existing breakers and adding the new ones I need. I have a 200amp meter box I can use when I hired an electrician to add a second 200amp service panel to my main house.

I was going to hire an electrician do the meter - panel feed and I was going to do the rest. I prefer to limit cost over time but if I'm only saving a few bucks but adding a lot of work it isn't worth it. I also need electricity to the house for other work being done although if we were without power for 4 hours or so that would be fine. Here are my questions:

1) Based upon the info/pics, does it make sense to:
a) swap it out entirely or
b) add a second 100amp panel next to it by "splitting" the service wire or
c) swap out the existing 100amp main breaker for a 150 or 200amp breaker and then add a 50amp subpanel?

2) When you rough in the electric is it best to first install the service panel(s) in place along with the breakers so one can run the wires through the knockouts or do people prefer to run all of the wires to the service panel location and then run everything through the knockouts?

Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help.
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
100amp service to 200amp service - double or single panel-ex-100amp-service-panel.jpg   100amp service to 200amp service - double or single panel-ex-100amp-service-panel-feed.jpg  

CapeCod153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I would move up to a 200 amp panel. I always do the electric service first unless I have to do the rough in first. Then I just make sure there is plenty of extra wire where the service is going to do.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
I would move up to a 200 amp panel. I always do the electric service first unless I have to do the rough in first. Then I just make sure there is plenty of extra wire where the service is going to do.
Thanks for the quick reply. Just curious - why go with total new 200amp service? I'm guessing the cost isn't that much different so the reason I'm curious is that means I have to re-wire all of the existing circuits, even if that is only a couple hours worth of work?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

i'm not quite sure i understand but you can't just plop a 200A breaker into the panel unless it's rated for it. Also the feeder conductors will likely need to be upgraded as well to carry the 200A as well as the meter base, which you said you have. Best option is the new 200A panel. Easier and a neater install and the cost difference between a 200A and 100A is negligible.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
i'm not quite sure i understand but you can't just plop a 200A breaker into the panel unless it's rated for it. Also the feeder conductors will likely need to be upgraded as well to carry the 200A as well as the meter base, which you said you have. Best option is the new 200A panel. Easier and a neater install and the cost difference between a 200A and 100A is negligible.
thank you. makes sense. I just hate to waste what is already there but it will be neater.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod153 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Just curious - why go with total new 200amp service? I'm guessing the cost isn't that much different so the reason I'm curious is that means I have to re-wire all of the existing circuits, even if that is only a couple hours worth of work?
100 amp is min these days and if you need more than that you should just upgrade to 200 amps. I just did a 100 to 200 amp panel change in our home ran all new home runs broke up some of the circuits and added a few more. I have one more circuit to run so I can separate our bedroom from the living room and I will be done.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

very nice. I will get an electrician to install the meter base I have and the new feed to the new 200amp panel. I should be able to do the rest. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod153 View Post
very nice. I will get an electrician to install the meter base I have and the new feed to the new 200amp panel. I should be able to do the rest. Thanks everyone!
Are you aware of what you need to do to meet the grounding requirements?
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Are you aware of what you need to do to meet the grounding requirements?
Thanks!!!! probably not aware of exactly what I need to do but I was planning to drive a new rod into the ground if needed and forgot to mention that. I will run it by the electrician. I did run a wire to the new addition's footing rebar (called Ufer, I believe) even though the inspector said I didn't need to do it. to my surprise the inspectors really haven't inspected when they come out - they mostly just stand there and look and then sign off. I hope the rough inspection goes as easily.
Also, there is an existing water pipe ground connection too although it isn't close to the point of entry into the buidling. I did all of the new stuff in PEX.

Is there something else I should be aware of? I appreciate you checking with me.