DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

100AMP to 200AMP

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  childers2 
#1 ·
I am purchaseing a old house. I am wanting to upgrade from 100 AMP service to 200AMP... Its in Indiana..

-Wire run for top of weather head est 50ft to meter
-less than 5ft from meter to Pannel box
-Newer meter pan
-100AMP Square D Pannel box inside

Thoughts Upgradeing Inside to 200AMP using a 200 AMP Sauare D box. Do i NEED to put a Disconnect outside? if not would you reccomend that?
What size wire will i need? Is plastic conduit ok on the outside of the house to the meter from the weather head? What do i need to know?

#2 ·
I originally wanted to explain and answer your question, however something made me stop.

If you have never done a service change, get an electrician.

Working on the service drop is ABSOLUTELY NOT A DIY project.

It will open you up to working with EXTREMELY HIGH amounts of available fault current......were talking tens of thousands of amps............

As far as my projects go, my work stops at the meter, If it cannot be deenergized by pulling the meter, I DO NOT touch it.

#3 ·
However, what you CAN do is install a second service right next to the existing one and have the POCO switch it over.

However, before I explain this to you, you need to contact your Local Electrical inspectors office AND Utility company.

some will not switch a service unless it was installed by a contractor.

Also you will have to site the meter and the box in a different location than where the current ones are.... ie: two meters two wire runs, two panels until everything is switched over.

#5 ·
I mean in theory it is simple. But the reality of it is if you have never done one then I would not make this your first solo as it might be your last solo. You need to find out what size your lines are coming into the meter first. IF those are not big enough for a 200 amp panel then your kinda hosed.

What I recommend right now since you seem like you can work with electrical is make a sub panel right next to your main panel and run it that way.

#6 ·
why would he make a sub panel? It wont give him 200 amps. Thats a waste of time and money IMHO.

Most POCOs arent bound by the NEC in terms of amperage and wire size. They size the drop on the houses' square footage. A number 2 Alum triplex can carry up to about 180 continuous amps as a service entrance drop......

No house that was a 100amp would come close to 180 amps continuous unless there was a serious addition to the structure.

@ the OP, if you insist on pursing this project, I would start with the Inspector and see if you are able to pull a permit to do a service upgrade. That would be a starting point. And again, your POCO has the last word whether you can upgrade or not.

Start with your POCO and AHJ.

but, you do not need to conduit SE cable, you will need 4/0 Aluminum SEU cable. No disconnect if you immediately terminate from meter to panel upon entering the house. Its actually really simple.

#8 ·
Pulling the meter and putting in a new panel is simple work and done in a few hours.
And also not legal in most areas without permission from the POCO. In fact most POCOs will NOT allow it. They will pull the meter for you.

Suggesting that a DIYer pull a meter is NOT a smart thing to suggest/imply. :no:

Reactions: frenchelectrican
#10 · (Edited)
Just stop right there let me tell you why I discourge you do that due I have survied meter blow up before quite few years back and have a scar on my dammed head to remind me.

The reason why due that meter was slightly older verison and somehow the meter lugs were corroded and when I pulled out it came apart and short out on me.*

Let the POCO deal with the meter or ask the POCO to cut the drop off or lateral no if or but or connires.

and

FOR THE DIYS DO NOT REMOVE THE METER !!

Many POCO have strict rules on this one.

Merci.
Marc

note: * That was a 200 amp 480 volts meter socket

#12 ·
To OP .,

How big this house and how many circuits you have in the load centre now { numbers of spaces } ?

The reason why I ask due you mention apx 50 foot outdoor cable or conduit run.

Merci.
Marc

#13 ·
I think anything past the meter is the POCO's property anyway, so it's cheaper and easier to just let them do it.

Also the POCO has to remove the meter, and I think it has to be a certified electrician that does the work or they wont put it back, so something to double check before you do the work.

What I plan to do when I upgrade is cut power to my panel (I'm lucky enough to have a separate cut off switch) then reuse the same feeders to feed the new panel - it's still 100amp service because the cut off is fused at 100, so I can still use the old wire.

Then I'd get an electrician to do the rest: add the proper sized wire, and new cut off switch. Could have him go straight to panel, but I like having a cut off that is separate. Makes it easier to add something in the future like a generator transfer switch, whole house surge protector, etc. Then I'd get the electrician to inspect my work while he's there.

#14 ·
RS.,

I agree with the part you say on that however I know in the USA side the only thing the POCO will own is the meter itself and everything else is the customer however there is a cut off part is the overhead drop that is POCO side the SE or SER or conduit on your house is your. therefore there is a instering twist the underground laterals just about everything is your { depending on the POCO defentiation of lateral run is }

In France it simuair but we have EDF { Electriqué De France } that own meter and meter socket but anything else that is customer side. that for both overhead drop and laterals.

Merci.
Marc

#18 ·
Dayton Power and Light in Ohio allows you to pull meters also. But you can have them come out and cut the transformer feed for a nominal fee.

#19 ·
Talked with both the power company and the inspectors office.. They will cut the power for free and i can do the work my self as long as they come out and inspect it before the re hook ... Going total electric thats why i wanted 200 AMP....

I really thought what i needed to do was replace the old wire and meter pan.. Replace the old wire with newer .. biger sizes.. Replace the meter pan with a 200AMP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.