Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 AM   #1

Share |

100A load center run

hi there - i think i can sum this up quickly.
i bought an old home 3 full floors and a full basement - it has 4 meters, 4 old load centers. the power company has shut off the meters (theres no wiring in the house, just load centers).
i'd like to have a 100A load center on the top floor so i can put a kitchen and separate hvac zone up there.
what would the transition be from the 2-wire input from the meter (which is currently hooked up to the old load center) to the top floor.

would i want a 100A breaker box at the entry point? (basement) - and then another load center on the top floor?

muchas gracias

Littlefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #2

100A load center run

You really should call an electrician to come look at it

Sparky Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #3

100A load center run

To start you cannot go directly from the meter to the top floor.

You left out too many variables. What are you planning to do with floors 1 and 2?

This does sound like it is larger than a diy project.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #4

100A load center run

It sounds like this house was a multi-family house.

Do you plan on keeping it as a mulit-family or will you convert it to a single family?

If you plan on making it single family house then what you are prosposing does not make sense.

If it will be a multi-family house then you should be able to have a seperate meter/box for each apartment.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #5

100A load center run

You need to get a qualified electrician to remove those four meters and make the whole house into one service.

You have said 'load center' and 'breaker box'. Load center has a specific meaning, but I don't know what you mean by 'breaker box', or are you saying the same thing?

I assume you are wanting to make the house liveable asap. You should put in your panels now, I'd say 100 amps upstairs and 100 down. Install your panels where you want them (according to code) then run the appropriately sized wire from the panels to the service entrance.

I think you were asking if the old wire would be sufficient for what you are planning on doing, and it won't.

While the walls are open is the best time to do everything as its supposed to be done, so you'll have a house that'll withstand the next 50 years, or so.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:57 AM   #6

100A load center run

sparky - thanks yes - breaker box is just another slang term for the subpanel. i should avoid using slang i realize - since subpanels and load centers both have breakers.... lets start all over:

i talked to two electricians. i'll get to that in a moment.

here is the deal. i am keeping the ground floor for myself and having 3 rental apartments above, so i'm keeping 4 meters.

i'd like to have 4 100a disconnects in the basement, where the service lines come in and then run each disconnect to 4 seperate 100a load centers in each apartment.

One electrician says that I can't run a disconnect to a load center it has to be a subpanel- the other one says there is no problem with running a disconnect to a load center.

so i've got a roll of 2-2-2-4 aluminum SE cable I bought for the electricians, which i will kick myself if its wrong - and now i'm just trying to figure out which sparky to go with.
thanks for the advice guys

edit: the house is totally gutted and there is no rush

Last edited by Littlefatdog; 06-13-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:49 AM   #7

100A load center run

littlefatdog, you are still using some slang there.. loadcenter/subpanel. Where I work they are talking about the same thing. Panel vs subpanel means if the neutral and ground are bonded or not. In the main panel they are, in the sub panel they are seperate. A load center is just a panel and you can either bond the neutral to ground or not.

In your case since the 4 main switchs are in the basement, where they should, be near the point of enterence to the house, the panels would all be sub panels.

You will bond the ground to neutral in the main swtichs and bring the grounding electrode conductors to them. You will run four conductors to the sub panel. Two hot, one neutral and one ground. You will keep the grounds and neutrals seperate in the sub panels at each appartment. You will bond the panel enclosures in the appartments to the ground buss not the neutral buss.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #8

100A load center run

jwhite - thank you. i'm beginning to understand it now.

i hope i can clear myself up this time: by "load center" i mean there is a 100amp breaker, in the box, above the circuits, a disconnect within the panel. by subpanel i mean a panel that has no main breaker, it would be powered down by the 100amp disconnect in the basement, right after the service line.

one question: if a panel with the 100amp breaker on the top is used after a disconnect, does it thereby become a subpanel? am i there yet?

One electrician, seeing that i had bought 4 panels with 100amp breakers said they could still be used after the disconnects since the extra 100amp breaker (within the panel) really would serve no purpose but 'an pointless safeguard.'

i only bought the panels because i got a good deal - 48 dollars a piece, with the one 100amp breaker and five 20amp single poles included.

so the conflict between the two electricians plans is what i'm trying to resolve. perhaps what i've done is confused them both with my slang.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #9

100A load center run

What you are planning on doing sounds perfect, tell them to get their lazy a$$es in there and get to work.

EDIT;
except fpr the #2 aluminum, I just looked it up and its only good for 90amps, you need #1. Sorry

Last edited by Sparky Joe; 06-13-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

100A load center run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Joe
EDIT;
except fpr the #2 aluminum, I just looked it up and its only good for 90amps, you need #1. Sorry
NOT totally true. MANY areas allow #2al to be used as a residential feeder as per NEC 310.15(B)(6).
If you are concerned you can call your local code office. If it were me I'd use the #2 on a 100. I do all the time.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

100A load center run

I'm with Petey. Never been turned down for using #2 AL as feedr for subpanel.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #12

100A load center run

littlefatdog. I would not call that extra breaker pointless. While it is not "required" by code, it serves as a fast way to disconnect all the circuits in that panel if needed. Yes that panel can be used, you just make sure you pull the tie bar out between the neutral buss and the ground buss. In some panels this cannot be done and you will have to buy ground bars and mount them directly to the panel enclosure.

Also, #2 al is fine in the 2005 code for a 100 amp feeder in residential. Make sure it is a four wire feed.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 AM   #13

100A load center run

suddenly, it all clicked for me. no kidding.
thanks for the guidance everyone
tom