Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #1

Share |

100 A Subpanel load help needed

Hi,
I am wiring my new house and have installed a 200A main panel with 36 slots. This particular panel does not accept double breakers so I am limited to 36 slots. I have installed a 100 amp sub panel in the adjacent stud bay.
My question is how much can I run on this panel. I would like to put the entire garage/shop area plus the electric furnace on this panel. It would include:
2 60A circuits for the 20KW furnace
2 20A circuts for a 3HP Tablesaw and 1 HP dust collector
1 20A Circuit for the 3/4 HP garage door opener
1 20 A circuit for the septic system (pump and small compresser)
1 20 A outlet circuit
1 15A lighting circuit
With this configuration I would have 4 slots left in the main panel and could move a few circuits over, but I figure it would be cleanest to arrange things this way.
Is this too much for the 100A sub?
Thanks

apparentgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #2

What kind of panel do you have? It will not accept double pole breakers? Thats a new one on me.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #3

The load looks reasonable considering that not everything will be operating at the same time.

Don't forget, the subpanel will be protected by 100 amp breakers in the main panel.

Did you say that the panel does not accept double wide breaker pairs(?) (unusual breaker side by side spacing), or does not feed opposite sides of the line to a double wide breaker pair(?) (left column all on one side of line and right column on other side), or does not accept any breaker units with two breakers in a single wide housing(?) (just one of these does not give 240 volts) You need to have the two breakers feeding 240 volts to the subpanel ganged so if one trips, the other is forced off.

I have had to reshape the plastic surfaces of breakers (by filing away), notably where they clip on to the panel back plane to get the breakers to fit in a panel of a different make.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-11-2008 at 11:26 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for the info. The main panel is a siemens that has a ready installed manual transfer breaker for emergency power. For some reason, the bus does not have the notches necessary for use with the double (2 circuits in one slot) breakers. It will only accept the type QP breakers and not the QT.

GLen
apparentgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
I have had to reshape the plastic surfaces of breakers (by filing away), notably where they clip on to the panel back plane to get the breakers to fit in a panel of a different make.
This is very dangerous to be modifying circuit breakers to make them fit! There is a reason they don't fit and when you modify them to make them fit you are creating a dangerous situation. Not to mention voiding the UL certification on the breakers as well. If the panel is not listed to accept tandem breakers then you must install a sub panel to accommodate extra circuits. Plain and simple.

Please DO NOT modify circuit breakers to make them fit an in-compatible panel.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote