Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

100 amp serivce?

We just purchased a 1930 home. How can we tell if we have 60, 100 or 200 amp electric service. there are both fuses and breakers and the main box outside is breakers. I was told that since there is a heat pump that it can ONLY be 200 amps. Help!

sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Retired from the grind
gregzoll's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,282
Rewards Points: 2,226

100 amp serivce?

If original to the structure with Fuses, most likely 60 amp. If breakers, it will state on the handle of the breaker. Go look on the outside disconnect, and see what it states. You are welcome to post pictures of both panels, including the meter box & rainhead if you wish.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
SD515's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Near Jackson Michigan Area
Posts: 1,450
Rewards Points: 500

100 amp serivce?

Find the first fuse or breaker after the meter, (most likely) that’s going to be the main service disconnect, and that’s going to be your service size.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading ---> 200 amp serivce jelly Electrical 22 10-27-2008 12:12 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.