Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Electro/Mechanical Tech

Rewards Points: 10

100 amp Safety Disconnect switch

Hellow my name is Alvin I am working on electrical service at a 2 family 3 business building in Brooklyn NY. I was told by a fellow contractor that any building over 3 meters requires a 100 amp Safety Disconnect switch between the main service entrance box and the multimeter pannel. I was highered to replace light fixtures outlets and switches. Con Ed told the customer they needed to higher an electrician to repair/upgrade their service in the basement.The person who told me this info is a licensed Electrician. He is going to be overseeing the work if not do the job him self. A permit is going to be aqquired by this person. I am just seeking a second opinion. I am highly qualified, but I do not work solely as an electrician. I am an Electrician apprentice. I was asked by the customer about this work and I called the licensed electrical contractor, he visited the site. He checked with con ed, spoke to an inspector and was to thats what this building needed. I am just present trying to learn something. But it is being handled properly by the right people. I am a electrical tech of 25 + years. I feel I can do various things but I learned a long time ago if you do not know about something ask. Thats all I am doing. But this call is being handled properly. Someone installed the system without the safety disconnect and it's been that way for years? I called The electrician!

Thank for all concerns

AB

Last edited by alvinbga; 05-15-2008 at 11:16 PM.
alvinbga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinbga View Post
Hellow my name is Alvin I am working on elctrical service at a 2 family 3 business building in Brooklyn NY. I was told by a fellow contractor that any building over 3 meters requires a 100 amp Safety Disconnect switch between the main service entrance box and the multimeter pannel. Is this accurate statement.
Not to rain on your parade but are you qualifed to do this type of work. Someone who knows what they are doing would know this type of info.

You are working on someone elses house and business, this is not the place to try and see if it works. Do you want to be resonsible if this place burns dow due to an electrical problem.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not trying to bag on you, but the nature of this question really concerns me. I think you need to consult a licensed electrician.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Electro/Mechanical Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Not to rain on your parade but are you qualifed to do this type of work. Someone who knows what they are doing would know this type of info.

You are working on someone elses house and business, this is not the place to try and see if it works. Do you want to be resonsible if this place burns dow due to an electrical problem.

Darren I thank you for your concern. I was highered to replace light fix tures outlets and switches. Con Ed told the customer they needed to higher an electrician to repair/upgrade their service in the basement.The person who told me this info is a licensed Electrician. He is going to be overseeing the work if not do the job him self. A permit is going to be aqquired by this person. I am just seeking a second opinion. I am highly qualified, but I do not work solely as an electrician. I am an Electrician apprentice. I was asked by the customer about this work and I called the licensed electrical contractor, he visited the site. He checked with con ed, spoke to an inspector and was to thats what this building needed. I am just present trying to learn something. But it is being handled properly by the right people. I am a electrical tech of 25 + years. I feel I can do various things but I learned a long time ago if you do not know about something ask. Thats all I am doing. But this call is being handled properly.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Electro/Mechanical Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Not trying to bag on you, but the nature of this question really concerns me. I think you need to consult a licensed electrician.

I did the licensed electrician is the one who told me. He is the one who is going to do the work. I am just his apprentice.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinbga View Post
I did the licensed electrician is the one who told me. He is the one who is going to do the work. I am just his apprentice.
Alvin. Why don't you simply ask the electrician that you're working under to provide some insight into this, i.e. NEC article, local code requirement, etc. I too am like you in that I like to find out exactly what requires something and where it is written. It's nice to see that you are interested in learning the reasoning behind the requirement!

BTW, if you want an electronic copy of the 2005 NEC for your own reference/study, PM me with an email address and I'll send you a .pdf copy of mine. You can search on it and print things as well. Very handy.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Alvin needs the NYC amendments to the NEC, found here. Department of Buildings

In all liklihood, the original building with 2 residences and 3 commercial business's and a LL meter violates the 6-throw rule, or the grouping rule. In addition, ConEd itself requires multi-family and multi-occupancy common services to have a main disco.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Electro/Mechanical Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
Alvin. Why don't you simply ask the electrician that you're working under to provide some insight into this, i.e. NEC article, local code requirement, etc. I too am like you in that I like to find out exactly what requires something and where it is written. It's nice to see that you are interested in learning the reasoning behind the requirement!

BTW, if you want an electronic copy of the 2005 NEC for your own reference/study, PM me with an email address and I'll send you a .pdf copy of mine. You can search on it and print things as well. Very handy.
Thank you Bigjimmy I cannot send PM I have to have more than 20 post. But I would like to get that .pdf file so here is my email alvinbga@aol.com. Thank you