Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

Share |

100 amp circuit up graded to 200 amp

Hi everyone,
I have a problem, I've installed a 53,000 btu electric furnace in my double wide trailer and was getting ready to wire it in,when I notice that my box is only 100 amp service in a "Challenger" box. From what I found out the original furnace must have been gas. What will I need to do in order to be able to use the furnace,tired of buying propane.
on the furnace" A circuit required breaker is 30amp &" B circuit is 60amp.Since this is a 100 amp service box ,will I need to change it out to a 200 amp service? or is there a way to wire in a separate breaker box to safely use the 60 & 30 amp breakers? any help very much appreciated.
jed52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #2

Your furnace needs both a double pole 30a and a double pole 60a?
lordlondis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlondis View Post
Your furnace needs both a double pole 30a and a double pole 60a?
Yes, it has two breakers on the furnace panel,one 30 amp and one 60 amp. It has a total three heat strips , one heat strip is wired for the 30 amp breaker and the other two heat strips is wired to the 60 amp. I don't know why the manufacture would wire a double wide trailer with only 100 amp box and not a 200 amp. heating with inferred propane heaters is getting old ,so I re-done the heat vents and installed a 53,000 btu furnace and now i fid out can't wire it in.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed52 View Post
Yes, it has two breakers on the furnace panel,one 30 amp and one 60 amp. It has a total three heat strips , one heat strip is wired for the 30 amp breaker and the other two heat strips is wired to the 60 amp. I don't know why the manufacture would wire a double wide trailer with only 100 amp box and not a 200 amp. heating with inferred propane heaters is getting old ,so I re-done the heat vents and installed a 53,000 btu furnace and now i fid out can't wire it in.

Because a 200 amp service is a tremendous amount of power, and if the trailer had gas heat to begin with there would be no reason for the MFR to sink money into a 200amp service entrance and panel, btw are you sure this electric furnace will be cheaper than propane?
SubSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Because a 200 amp service is a tremendous amount of power, and if the trailer had gas heat to begin with there would be no reason for the MFR to sink money into a 200amp service entrance and panel, btw are you sure this electric furnace will be cheaper than propane?
Hoping it will,am willing to wire up only the 60 amp two heat strip if that's possible. 100 gal of propane is close to $350.00 and we go through close to four 100 gal tank fills per year. plus the inferred heaters are only wall units.This way the heat would be regulated by a wall thermostat and floor vents in each room.
Plus I was thinking about up-grading in a couple years to a 3 ton heat pump.But that's at a later date if feasible. Just a little upset that after taken the time to redo the floor vents and duck work,now I run into this problem. I feel like an idiot that i didn't look at the service before hand.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Do you have an outside panel?
If you do, you may be able to install the breakers there for the furnance.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Do you have an outside panel?
If you do, you may be able to install the breakers there for the furnance.
All I have on the out side is the 100 amp disconnect. Is there any way to change it out to a double 100 amp disconnect and run off the other 100 amp circuit? all i want to connect is the 60 amp and 30 amp breaker in a separate box.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
All I have on the out side is the 100 amp disconnect. Is there any way to change it out to a double 100 amp disconnect and run off the other 100 amp circuit? all i want to connect is the 60 amp and 30 amp breaker in a separate box.
A lot of varibles to answer that question.
How far from the home?
Do you need permits and inspections in the area.
How much knoweldge do you have?

The disconnect could be changed out for a 4 circuit panel, with 100 amps feeding the home, and a 60 and a 30 feeding the furnance.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #9

I'm new here but I already see who's who.

An electric furnace is a continuous load by definition, even though it cycles on and off.

So you want to add 90A continuous load, plus the 100A feed to the trailer. That's 190A. I won't say flat-out "no", but I will say the OP needs to look at everything UPSTREAM of this disconnect you propose to add (cable and meter base, if it's seperate) and make sure it's rated for 190A or more.

Further, the trailer is most likely wired as a subpanel. Some would qualify it as a detached structure since it doesn't contain the actual service. Now we've got a problem with feeding it with multiple circuits (You can't do that. One circuit, one MWBC, or one subpanel.) This is a matter of interpretation so he needs to ask the inspector.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by emolatur View Post
I'm new here but I already see who's who.

An electric furnace is a continuous load by definition, even though it cycles on and off.

So you want to add 90A continuous load, plus the 100A feed to the trailer. That's 190A. I won't say flat-out "no", but I will say the OP needs to look at everything UPSTREAM of this disconnect you propose to add (cable and meter base, if it's seperate) and make sure it's rated for 190A or more.

Further, the trailer is most likely wired as a subpanel. Some would qualify it as a detached structure since it doesn't contain the actual service. Now we've got a problem with feeding it with multiple circuits (You can't do that. One circuit, one MWBC, or one subpanel.) This is a matter of interpretation so he needs to ask the inspector.
Well I called the inspector today ,but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Seems the trailer originally came with a gas stove and gas furnace, so I'm just going to do a complete 200 amp service up-grade. Far as service the trailer is not a sub panel service. The box is a 100 amp panel box,with 100 amp double pole breaker, at the pole is a 100 amp disconnect. From what I here ,I'll have to change all the wire at the pole,plus up-grade to a 200 amp disconnect & 200 amp box. will have to change out entrance wires also.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Do it right.

Quote:
Well I called the inspector today ,but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Seems the trailer originally came with a gas stove and gas furnace, so I'm just going to do a complete 200 amp service up-grade. Far as service the trailer is not a sub panel service. The box is a 100 amp panel box,with 100 amp double pole breaker, at the pole is a 100 amp disconnect. From what I here ,I'll have to change all the wire at the pole,plus up-grade to a 200 amp disconnect & 200 amp box. will have to change out entrance wires also.

I believe that would consitute a sub panel if your disconnect is upstream of your box. Just because you have a main disconnect in your box doesn't mean its a main panel, you still need a 4 wire feed if you don't have one already. You will also need to contact the PoCo to see if the service wires can handle 200A or if they as well need to be upgraded.

its a complete overhaul if this is the case, new weatherhead, probably new conduit etc.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
I believe that would consitute a sub panel if your disconnect is upstream of your box. Just because you have a main disconnect in your box doesn't mean its a main panel, you still need a 4 wire feed if you don't have one already. You will also need to contact the PoCo to see if the service wires can handle 200A or if they as well need to be upgraded.

its a complete overhaul if this is the case, new weatherhead, probably new conduit etc.
Yes I believe it will have to be a complete overhaul, service wires and all, just have to speak to the building inspector and see what's involved. I want the trailer safe, not as it is. probley close to $600.00 job. I get my supplies through a local electrical / plumbing distributer.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
Do it right.

Quote:
Yes I believe it will have to be a complete overhaul, service wires and all, just have to speak to the building inspector and see what's involved. I want the trailer safe, not as it is. probley close to $600.00 job. I get my supplies through a local electrical / plumbing distributer.

I hope your inspector is more helpful than mine, every time I call or email him with a question he tells me to refer to the nec, absolutely ZERO help.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
I hope your inspector is more helpful than mine, every time I call or email him with a question he tells me to refer to the nec, absolutely ZERO help.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind.