10 Gauge Pigtails In Subpanel For 60 Amp Service? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

10 gauge pigtails in subpanel for 60 amp service?

Like the title says. Electrician used 10 awg pigtails inside subpanel. Is this a firetrap? These are leads from 60 amp fused main. Commercial if it matters.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,210

Is it a motor or HVAC circuit?

Advertisement

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
I have gas!

Picture is worth 1000 words
Attached Thumbnails
10 gauge pigtails in subpanel for 60 amp service?-img_1411_sm.jpg  
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
I have gas!

Panel if for all electricity in shop, AC, refrigerators, Coffee, lights, everything.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

umm so what your saying is that there are number tens feeding a 60A panel? and they've been pigtailed to be made long enough to get to the lugs?
This is a NO and another NO
please clarify as i don't think there's an actual electrician out there crazy enough to do this.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
Master Electrician

WOW....i'm a little speechless there....get those tens out of there right pronto. The number 6's that they are pigtailed to need to go directly to the panel...in the meantime if possible fuse it down to 30A which is the max load the tens can take
And get your money back....i don't know how and inspector ever passed that and being commercial it definately should have been inspected.
This is more a case of stupidity than anything else i think. If the wires were two short he should have put the lugs to the bottom of the panel instead of the top. Or rather i should say should have gotten a panel that's fed from the bottom. Some people shouldn't have a license.

Last edited by andrew79; 04-07-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
I have gas!

The reason it was noticed is that there's not enough power to supply the shop and the fuse blew when the AC kicked in.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #8

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Panel if for all electricity in shop, AC, refrigerators, Coffee, lights, everything.
The critical question is what those #10 AWG wires are protected by; Maybe it's a no-brainer because you stated in the original post "60Amp. Service"?! If they're protected by 30/40 Amp. breakers, it's a nuisance, not to speak of a violation. But if higher amperages are used, then it's clearly a real and present danger!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
The critical question is what those #10 AWG wires are protected by; Maybe it's a no-brainer because you stated in the original post "60Amp. Service"?! If they're protected by 30/40 Amp. breakers, it's a nuisance, not to speak of a violation. But if higher amperages are used, then it's clearly a real and present danger!!
he said it's fused at 60A....that's why i said in the meantime to drop it to 30A's till he can get it fixed.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
I have gas!

Couldn't read the writing on the fuse but the main fuse box stated 60 amp.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
The reason it was noticed is that there's not enough power to supply the shop and the fuse blew when the AC kicked in.
to be totally honest with you a 60A service even if it's wired right is probably far to small for what your doing. A/c units alone draw around 40A if it's a decent sized one. Get the guy back and get him to do it right. Whatever you do though get those wires out or fuse it down before something bad happens.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #12

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
WOW....i'm a little speechless there....get those tens out of there right pronto. The number 6's that they are pigtailed to need to go directly to the panel...in the meantime if possible fuse it down to 30A which is the max load the tens can take
And get your money back....i don't know how and inspector ever passed that and being commercial it definately should have been inspected.
This is more a case of stupidity than anything else i think. If the wires were two short he should have put the lugs to the bottom of the panel instead of the top. Or rather i should say should have gotten a panel that's fed from the bottom. Some people shouldn't have a license.
I guarantee that it wasn't done by a licensed electrician. Only an uninitiated amateur (Which is entirely different than an educated DIY'r.) would have the "Guts" to do such an obviously dangerous job!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

as andrew stated: I would guess that the load of that panel is over the 60 amp feed, if it is even that large.

call the yahoo back out that did that and wait for him behind a door with a big stick in your hands and whack him when he comes in for doing something like that.

Is there a requirement for commercial electricians to be licensed in your area? If so, demand he show you his. Also, are permits required in your area? an inspector would be a welcome visit after seeing that work.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
I guarantee that it wasn't done by a licensed electrician. Only an uninitiated amateur (Which is entirely different than an educated DIY'r.) would have the "Guts" to do such an obviously dangerous job!!
It was actually done by the licensed electrician's assistant. The licensed electrician came in tonight to defend the work. We've got the inspector to come back and re-inspect. Did you notice the "multi-wire" breakers?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
as andrew stated: I would guess that the load of that panel is over the 60 amp feed, if it is even that large.

call the yahoo back out that did that and wait for him behind a door with a big stick in your hands and whack him when he comes in for doing something like that.

Is there a requirement for commercial electricians to be licensed in your area? If so, demand he show you his. Also, are permits required in your area? an inspector would be a welcome visit after seeing that work.
The permit was signed off on by the inspector. The electrician also stated that if anyone touched his panel, he wouldn't warrant the work. Unbelievable.

Advertisement

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 04-07-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote