10 Cable Junction Box Splice - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

10 Cable Junction Box Splice

I have a 12 x 12 x 4 metal junction box. I will be using it for twelve #14-2 with ground romex cables. I have to extend the twelve cables because the main panel box was relocated. I have run a complete new cable to each location in the house that was accessable. What do you feel is the best way to splice these twelve cables. I would rather not use wire nuts or those push n lock connectors I have seen in the local home improvement stores. Is there another way to splice them, like some sort of terminal block? P.S., the splice needs to pass an inspection. Thanks for your help !!!

Advertisement

swstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

I like this type of terminal strip. There are 3 different sizes of terminal in this particular picture. They attach to a DIN rail which you would screw down to the back of the box.

Just make sure whatever terminal you use is rated for solid or stranded (whichever you are using) and the size of wire you are using.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #3

Those would make for a professional installation !!! Do you have a manufacture name or part number for them ?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Now you ask the hard questions.

There are a bunch of different manufacturers of that type of terminal. The only place I know of to purchase them is an honest to goodness electrical supply house but I am sure you can get them online as well. never looked for them online though. I just go to a supply house near me.

If you use them, be sure to get end blocks. End blocks generally have a means to tighten them down to the rail so nothing moves. If you don't use then end blocks, you can actuallly slide those terminals back and forth on the rail

you also need the end block to cover the one side that is open as well.

here is a google search page with some of them:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...-8&sa=N&tab=iw

and lots of pics of them:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...og&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 07-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info !!!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstx View Post
I would rather not use wire nuts.......
May I ask why????
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

Are the wires held in the block by screw clamps or do you just push the wire ends in and they stay in place? If the latter than the connection is the same as the backstab connection on the back of a receptacle or switch unit or the same as the push 'n lock connectors mentioned earlier.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Are the wires held in the block by screw clamps or do you just push the wire ends in and they stay in place? If the latter than the connection is the same as the backstab connection on the back of a receptacle or switch unit or the same as the push 'n lock connectors mentioned earlier.
you can get either. I prefer the screw down terminals and I believe that is what I posted in my previous post.

yes, they are. Look at the one where you can see the mechanicals of the terminal. You can see the clamping screw which are accessed via the holes on the face of the terminals.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

You must also verify that the amp rating of the terminal blocks you buy are high enough for the circuits you are putting them on.

Many times if they fit a 12AWG, they are probably going to be rated at least 20A, and if they fit up to 10AWG, probably rated for at least 30A, but you should check anyway.

Advertisement