10/3 Wire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

10/3 wire

Hello;

How would one wire a 20a 125v outlet with 10/3 plus ground since there would be a second hot ( red wire)

Thank-you

Advertisement

BlkNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

10/3 wire

Do you know a standard 20a circuit only calls for 12/2 wiring?

Advertisement

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #3

10/3 wire

Yes I do, but this is being used in audio & video application with dedicated lines.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Always learning...

10/3 wire

...maybe I'm missing something but I still don't understand why you'd have to run 10ga wire to a 20a receptacle?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

10/3 wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkNotes View Post
Yes I do, but this is being used in audio & video application with dedicated lines.
Only need 12/2. 10/3 is not going to do anything for you, unless you have the need for 240v 30amp circuit, that needs a ground and Neutral.

I would also stay away from MWBC (Multi-Wire Branch Circuits), with anything that has to do with A/V gear. Also, unless you know what you are doing when it comes to electric, you can end up causing a whole lot of issues with ground loops, if you do not do it correct.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #6

10/3 wire

Using 10/3 has to do with less voltage drop and auditory and visual improvement.

No multi branch circuits, just one line per outlet.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
Always learning...

10/3 wire

Quote:
Using 10/3 has to do with less voltage drop and auditory and visual improvement.
Hmm...I don't know enough to speak on that topic, but if you insist on using 10ga wire then use 10/2 - or did you already buy the 10/3?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

10/3 wire

Quote:

No multi branch circuits, just one line per outlet.
Uhm no it does not. Unless you are running the wire over 1000 feet, which in most outside venues, it is a stranded wire from the board to the amps, and amps to the speakers, you are not going to see any of that in a home, running 12/2 on a 20amp, or 14/2 on a 15 amp for normal household outlets.

Really do not know where you dug up that piece of garbage about having less voltage drop, along with auditory & visual improvement, because the power wire is a larger gauge. Again, the larger gauge is only for use between the amps & speakers, if pushing a large amount of watts at concert levels, or having Motorhead play live at your place.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

10/3 wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzer85 View Post
Hmm...I don't know enough to speak on that topic, but if you insist on using 10ga wire then use 10/2 - or did you already buy the 10/3?
It is a BS topic, that the OP is just throwing around, without knowing the real reason why larger wiring sizes are used, which is mostly in commercial operations, when using 240vAC amps, vs. 120vAC amps.

Then of course, I wonder if they know the difference between what a single phase & three phase amp is, and why they are used.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #10

10/3 wire

All I was asking is how to wire a 20a 125v outlet with 10/3 + ground wire.

I did not want a debate about electrical theory.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

10/3 wire

Quote:
All I was asking is how to wire a 20a 125v outlet with 10/3 + ground wire.

I did not want a debate about electrical theory.
What did you expect, when you asked if you should use 10/3 for a 120vAC circuit. Plain and simple answer, is that it is overkill, and not needed for what you are doing.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #12

10/3 wire

Considering this is the preamp/video power wire better audio/video is not going to be a factor. Unless this is a post amp power feed. Don't think it is. Draw us a picture of the layout of the system and were this 10-3 wire is connected both ends
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

10/3 wire

Even Postamp in a residential setup, it is not going to change the clarity of the sound, or make the picture better than the Blu-Ray, DVD, stream from online, or Ripped video.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,048

10/3 wire

Do not bare the end of the red wire. Curl up that wire in the box and leave it unused (both ends).

Connect the black wire to a gold screw on the receptacle (side with the smaller prong slot) and connect the white wire to a silver screw on the other side.

One disadvantage of 10 gauge wire is that it is quite stiff and you will have to use a lot of care to get the receptacle into the box.

Suggest that, at the panel, you connect a short length of 12 gauge wire to the breaker and to the black wire of the 10/3 instead of connecting the 10 gauge wire directly to the breaker. This warns someone working in the panel later that there is a 20 amp component (an ordinary receptacle) on that circuit and that that circuit may not be connected to a 30 amp breaker at a later date.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-20-2013 at 06:54 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
Thread killer

Rewards Points: 268

10/3 wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Even Postamp in a residential setup, it is not going to change the clarity of the sound, or make the picture better than the Blu-Ray, DVD, stream from online, or Ripped video.
Greg, you'll have more luck convincing the pope that God isn't real than an audiophile that wire size, colour, shape, placement, etc, doesn't make an audible difference. No amount of actual tested science will convince any of them. Their golden ears can hear what the most expensive test equipment can't.

Advertisement

gregzoll (04-20-2013)