DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   10/3 to outside Generator Inlet (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/10-3-outside-generator-inlet-156392/)

aquasport17 09-10-2012 09:31 AM

10/3 to outside Generator Inlet
 
Hi Folks,

I know it's not best practice to run jacketed NMB cable in conduit. I plan to install a 30A generator inlet about 20 feet from the panel. The location of the inlet is such that I will come out above the sill plate (I have 18" high trusses so lots of room), and down the foundation about 6 feet (it's a walk out style).

Question: Is it acceptable to run the final six or so feet of 10/3 down the outside of the foundation to the inlet box using 3/4" rigid sched 40 conduit? Or do I need to run THHN in conduit all the way to the panel?

I'll staple the rest up inside the trusses once I am inside.

Cheers,

Jeff

JulieMor 09-10-2012 09:56 AM

You can run the NMB inside the conduit.

J. V. 09-10-2012 10:03 AM

You cannot run NMB inside conduit, outside.

aquasport17 09-10-2012 10:06 AM

So I have conflicting answers.

NEC actually prohibits this? I didn't think that was the case - just thought it was not recommended. Figured with the short distance it wouldn't be an issue.

Would it be considered a "raceway" if the conduit was not terminated at the panel? I'm just trying to protect the wire outside for 6 feet.

jbfan 09-10-2012 10:45 AM

NMB can not be used in a wet location, and outside is a wet location.
You can use the conduit inside and go through the foundation into the inlet box.

aquasport17 09-10-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 1006901)
You cannot run NMB inside conduit, outside.

Assuming I am not going to drill through the concrete wall - Is there another method?

aquasport17 09-10-2012 11:16 AM

I'll just pull four wet location suitable, 10 guage THHN conductors through the conduit to the panel. Any problem with that?

jbfan 09-10-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquasport17 (Post 1006943)
I'll just pull four wet location suitable, 10 guage THHN conductors through the conduit to the panel. Any problem with that?

Not as long as you use a junction box to transition from the nmb before going into the conduit, and use thwn/thhn, which most wire is dual rated today anyway.
Or you could use uf cable.

aquasport17 09-10-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1006944)
Not as long as you use a junction box to transition from the nmb before going into the conduit, and use thwn/thhn, which most wire is dual rated today anyway.
Or you could use uf cable.

Can I just run the UF-B right to the panel with no transition other than from the conduit (once it enters the house)? It's about 20 feet through the trusses. I'll staple it up and away.

rjniles 09-10-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquasport17 (Post 1006946)
Can I just run the UF-B right to the panel with no transition other than from the conduit (once it enters the house)? It's about 20 feet through the trusses. I'll staple it up and away.


Yes you can.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved