#10-3 Cloth Romex With #14 Ground Safe? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

#10-3 cloth romex with #14 ground safe?

just got a washer and dryer and was wondering if the existing wire would suffice? the cloth romex seems to be in ok shape, it just has a #14 ground, is this ok? i will be using the a 14-30R receptacle.

also i am not sure if "cloth romex" is the right term, its early 60's romex type wire and it looks like it has that tar cloth type stuff as the jacket.

Advertisement

langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Personally, I would replace it. If you were to hook a megger up to it, it would come back that the insulation inside has most likely broken down. For current code, you need to have the wash machine on a dedicated 12/2, 20amp circuit. That means that it can not feed anything else, but a wash machine & gas dryer if you have one. You can though have a second or more circuits for convenience in that space, which those would fall under the SABC (Small Appliance Branch Circuit) catagory.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

what is this megger thing? yes i do have the washer on a dedicated 20 gfic circuit. i was just concerned about the dryer wire. also on the dedicated washer circuit; i cant even hook a switch and 4' shop light up to the circuit for the washer dryer area?
langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Megohmmeter is a special type of ohmmeter used to measure, or rather test, the insulation resistance of insulators. Insulators have electrical resistance in the range of millions of ohms compared to conductors which are measured in ohms. Insulators need testing for their insulation strength at the time of commissioning and as part of maintenance for electrical equipments and installations. For this purpose special ohmmeters called megohmmeters which can provide high voltages (typically in ranges from 500V to 2 kV) at specified current capacity are used. The minimum insulation tolerated are in the range of 1 to 10 mega-ohms, depending on the standards referred to.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5526264_use-...on-tester.html
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote