DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 switch, 3 lights? help?

8K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jbfan 
#1 ·
I am working on a basement project. I installed 3 light fixtures and a single pole switch. I ran the feed to the first light, then the second, then the third, then the switch. When I flipped on the breaker, all lights powered on. As soon as I flipped the switch on the wall, the breaker tripped. If I put the swith back on the on position, the breaker does not trip, but I can not shut my lights on and off. Any help we be appreciated.

#4 ·
you created a short. You can not acceive what you want with the wire you have. Is it possible to take the hot to the switch and then to the lights? If not then you need to run 3 wires from the first light to the second light and to the third light. Let know which option you want to try before I spell it out for you.

#6 ·
If you run the hot wire from the panel to the switch, connect the white wires together, the the black from the power to one side of the switch, and the black to the lights onto the other side of the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.