Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
walt1122

Share |

1.5" deep wall can I use BX??

Hi had to cut into a section of 2 x 6 wall to recess a 5' wide by 6.5' high with a header and then reduce that area under the header to a wall cavity thickness of 1.5 and 16" OC. It is an area under some steps that was designed for a washer and dryer but the builder said he could make it a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink). Well he screwed this up too. Wall to close so standard sink won't fit. I got hold of a old gas station sink and it is better but I still had to reduce the size of the 2 x 6 wall. So I want to add some electric to the wall so I have a medicine cabinet above the sink and need an outlet on this wall. I asked the electrician here and he said NO PROBLEM!!! I can use Romex I think I have to protect the wire from puncture and shorts.

So, who is right and will BX be adequate of do I have to try and run EMT or what??

suggestions, advice, recommendations

thanks

Walt

walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Just follow this graphic from Mike Holt and keep the cables 1 1/4" away from the framing. There are standoffs made to hold the cables in place.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
walt1122

Hi Jim Post, great drawing. This does help I hadn't looked at it that way but it makes sense. The use of furring strips on all those basements and the sheetrock placed so close to the wall. I will search out the standoffs. Now, what to do with the BX??

thanks

Walt
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

You can use the BX cable it the same rules as Jim Port posted the photo with standoff.

However there one issue with BX cable I am not sure which type of BX cable due there are few diffrent style of BX cable which it can be MC { metal clad } so the methold of use them will varies a bit as long the basement wall is very dry with no moisture show up { a quick vapour barrier test will show up on that one } then any type of cable or conduit will work.

Most of my furring strips sites which I have deal I hardly ever touch NM at all most case I run in conduit { useally EMT unless you have damp wall then I will switch over to PVC if that the case }

Merci.
Marc
walt1122 (03-03-2011)