Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #1

Share |

0 guage extension cord hook 200 feet to camper

Hello,

I am installing a new service entrance electrical service at our property. We are running wire to the meter housing 30' up in field with a 200 amp breaker box and a outlet for electricity. our 30' travel trailer will be set up 200 feet from the service meter box. we want to run 2 100' 10 guage extension cords to the travel trailer to hook it to the travel trailer to live in until our cottage is complete. will the 2 extension cords run everything in the travel trailer? all info is welcomed. Thank you!

ramskag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Depends on what's in the trailer. I would guess it will probably not work well if there are any significant loads. If you have air conditioning, it's going to be a problem.

ramskag (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #3

we would just be using an electric heater and some electric appliances for cooking and an electric fridge. we choose not to use the propane ones. thank you.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

Your travel trailer is 30 amp/120 volt. There is no place that I know of to use a second cord. There is a single 30 amp male cord that feeds the panel that feeds everything in the trailer. What will you plug into the second cord?

Just curious. I have had, and have been around RV's my entire life. I have a 34 ft fifth wheel now (it too is 30 amp/ 120 volt). I have never seen anything small as yours be anything different than explained above.

But I can learn.
al_smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to al_smelter For This Useful Post:
ramskag (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

I think that you will end up with about 15 amps (plus or minus)usable at the end of 200 ft of extension cord. It will run most of the individual items in your trailer and a few in combination. Running your stove and your heater in combination is probably not feasible.

If I was doing it, I would trench, install conduit, pull wire up to the trailer site, and install a 30 amp RV outlet at that location to ensure that I had full electric for the length of the construction.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

you are correct. I am using the cord from the travel trailer. I am just running 2 extension cords from my power supply from the road 200' feet back to my 30' traver trailer. then hooking the extension cords up to the cord that is attached to the travel trailer. I just wanted to know if there will be enough power from the 10 guage cords to run the travel trailer. thanks for the reply.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
I think that you will end up with about 15 amps (plus or minus)usable at the end of 200 ft of extension cord. It will run most of the individual items in your trailer and a few in combination. Running your stove and your heater in combination is probably not feasible.

If I was doing it, I would trench, install conduit, pull wire up to the trailer site, and install a 30 amp RV outlet at that location to ensure that I had full electric for the length of the construction.

what kind of wire would you run in a trench to the travel trailer. it would be coming from my 200 amp breaker box from the meter station. thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #8

I'd probably run #6 THWN in the conduit.

Wire is in the conduit, the conduit is in the trench. :-)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #9

I did something similar, except the distance was only about 100 feet. We lived in our RV for almost three years while building our log home. I ran 10-2 UF from the house's breaker panel to an RV outlet box I mounted on a tree near the trailer. Since it was intended to be temporary, I just laid it on the ground. We never had an issue with power, even in the hottest summer or coldest winter. Oso954 is apparently not an RVer - the stove and heater in an RV are propane appliances that use almost no electrical power. The biggest load is the air conditioner.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
we would just be using an electric heater and some electric appliances for cooking
His heater is not. Please excuse my use of "stove" for his "electric appliances for cooking"
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

You could run a 2-2-4-6 AL URD in conduit that would give you enough so that you could have up to 50 amps with a 3% voltage drop and in the future you could put a small workshop or garage there and have power. It would probably cost about a $1.50 a foot at most plus an RV panel set on a 4x4 post and a couple ground rods.

I would rather have more than enough. Then find out that the coldest day of the year I can't keep the place warm because there is not enough power to run a heater and cook at the same time.

Last edited by rrolleston; 04-02-2013 at 05:43 PM.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramskag View Post
we would just be using an electric heater and some electric appliances for cooking and an electric fridge. we choose not to use the propane ones. thank you.
Just be aware on very cold days the propane heater which it is installed in your RV will have far more heat performace than the common portable household heater is and it will be less strain on the extendison cord on that reason.

A smart RV user whom will stay or use them for long term useally get smart with propane tanks there are few case I know some will get the 50KG tanks ( 100 LB class tanks for ya guys ) and they will last much longer than 15 or 20 KG tanks ( 30 or 40 lbs ) and genrally with bigger tanks like 50 KG I meanion above useally cheaper than few smaller tanks so it is your call on that.

Now for the power set up I will really suggest that you should set up a small subpanel near the RV spot so you will have more than engouh power plus a extra or deux for other receptles as needed to.

The subpanel you only need to go up to 50 amp the most so the common 2-2-2-4 URD or 100 amp Mobile home feeder cable will work very well for this purpose without issue ( run this in the conduit so you can change the size down the road or use as junction point to run to the other building if that happend in that area )

You will need a single pole 30 amp breaker for the RV and use the RV receptale ( make sure you don't get the dryer receptale by mistake due they look simauir but they are NOT interchangeable ! )

And get a single pole 20 amp breaker and have a weather proof juction box below of the subpanel with GFCI recepetale and call it a day.

Merci,
Marc
Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
His heater is not. Please excuse my use of "stove" for his "electric appliances for cooking"
So right. My apologies. Guess I wasn't paying attention. But I question why the OP wouldn't use the RV's propane appliances. Sure would be easier.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramskag View Post
our 30' travel trailer will be set up 200 feet from the service meter box.
I'm not sure this is allowed. Don't we need to be no farther than 30' from Service Equipment per 550.32(A) [2008]?

EDIT: Ah, I guess 551, instead of 550 applies??

Last edited by sirsparksalot; 04-03-2013 at 07:19 AM.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
Lord of Slums

I would not mess with extension cords. I have done similar as you and the cords are too stressed to be safe.

mj12 is online now   Reply With Quote