Zoned System - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Zoned System

I have an zoned system that uses a honeywell HZ311 control panel. I have two zones, one upstairs and one downstairs. The furnace is a gas furnace, the heat pump outside is the kind that cools in the summer and heats in the winter. I just recently moved into this house and found out the hard way on a hot day that if the thermostat downstairs is turned off and the thermostat upstairs is turned on to cool, hot air is blown out the vents. But once i turn the thermostat downstairs back on it starts blowing cold air out again. So I turned the thermostat downstairs back off again and verified hot air was blowing out the registers upstairs then i went and checked to see if the heat pump was running and it was. So that tells me the heat pump isn't receiving the signal to run cool instead of heat.. So i tried to find a manual online that explains how the honeywell zone control panel works and there is not much information on that, just how to hook it up. But one thing i noticed was that the control panel documentation says its not compatible with a heat pump.. So now i am trying to figure out how the heat pump is wired in because its being turned on correctly by the thermostat downstairs..

I am also wondering if my thermostat upstairs is not compatible with my system because on the back of it there is a switch that can be set to electric / heat pump or set to gas / oil. But I have gas with a heat pump.

Advertisement

vertex78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Zoned System

With zoned systems, the "type" of system is controlled by the controller, not the stats. All your stats are doing is telling the controller whether to turn the system on or not, and what "mode" to be in (heating or cooling).

If your zone controller isn't compatible with a heat pump, then you're very likely out of luck - and, given the model that you stated, it's not suitable for a multistage heatpump. In cases like this, you might be wise to have a competent HVAC company who is well versed in Honeywell zoning systems to look into the matter.

As far as why HOT air blows from your system - that's hard to say, but be aware that zoning systems will purge the ductwork before switching modes, or (sometimes) before bringing another zone online. That may be happening here, but I doubt it. More like the system isn't wired correctly.

BTW: What's the model and brand of outdoor unit that you have? What's the model and brand of your furnace?

Advertisement

scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Zoned System

The furnace is an Amana model # GCI115X35A and the outdoor unit is an Amana Rhd36a2a.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

Zoned System

That's definitely a heat pump, and from what you've posted the Honeywell zone controller doesn't support a heat pump. Seems a waste to have a dual fuel system that won't control everything correctly.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Zoned System

well that really sucks
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #6

Zoned System

I could be wrong on that, but from the model you gave, it appears to be so. Are there any other numbers on the zone controller - for example, numbers AFTER the HZ311, or a different sticker perhaps?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Zoned System

Nope.. So now i guess I need to figure out if the heat pump is even being used to generate heat when its set to heat and its not too cold outside. Maybe there is someway I can make it work correctly enough until i am in a position to replace the zone panel with one that supports heat pumps.

I am still a little confused on what all the zone panel does. I know that both of my stats connect to it and the damper motors connect to it, and the equipment connect to it, and then is uses the signals from the stats to determine if its should be heating or cooling and which dampers it should open right? There are times when i would turn the heat up downstairs and not upstairs but heat would be coming out of the registers upstairs too.. Is that correct behavior of the system to turn on both zones sometimes?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

Zoned System

The zone panel accepts inputs from the thermostats, and controls the equipment and dampers in response to those inputs.

So if Zone1 is calling for cooling, and Zone2 is not, then all air is directed to Zone1. During that call for cooling, if Zone2 requests cooling, the system will open the dampers for Zone2 (and leave the dampers for Zone1 open). When Zone1 is satisfied, the dampers for that zone will be closed. If Zone2 still needs cooling, the system would then direct all air to Zone2. If Zone2 does not still need cooling, the system would shut off the equipment.

Note too that residential systems would not allow you to have BOTH heating and cooling at the same time. In cases where Zone1 needs heat, but Zone2 is calling for cooling, the zone panel would take action based on it's own internal programming. For example, in the situation defined above, the controller may allow Zone2 to continue cooling for a predetermined length of time (5 minutes, 7 minutes, 10 minutes, etc), and then it would (a) turn OFF the requirement for Zone2 (b) turn ON the fan to purge the ducts (generally takes about 90 seconds or so), (c) turn ON the requirement for Zone1 (heating, in this case) and then (d) open the dampers to Zone1 and (e) close the dampers to Zone2. It would then allow this configuration to remain for a predetermined length of time (perhaps 10 minutes, maybe 15, etc etc), and if the zone is not satisfied at that time, it would reverse the process above - and it would continue doing that until both zones had satisfied their own needs. Note some controllers will vary the times and such if the stats continue to remain unsatisfied, so after trying to cool Zone1 3 times, the controller might increase the "on time" for the next cooling call by 50% in an attempt to finally satisfy that call for cooling. Note these times are just guesses, as all manufacturers manage these in different ways.

You should get no airflow to a zone unless that zone is calling for heat or cool - assuming, of course, that you've not set the Fan switch to ON, and the zone controller to open all dampers when you do so (this is controlled by the zone panel).

Quote:
So now i guess I need to figure out if the heat pump is even being used to generate heat when its set to heat and its not too cold outside
Yes, that would be a good idea. However, given that your zone controller doesn't control a heat pump, I don't know how you'd rig this up to work correctly for a "mild temp" condition. I'm sure there are ways to do it, of course - adding an outdoor stat, and installing relays to direct control power to the gas furnace or heat pump, depending on outdoor temp - but that would a Rube Goldbery setup of historic proportions

You could see how many wires are connected at the outdoor unit. A heat pump generally would need at least 5, and most use more than that. If the heat pump is only being used to cool, you'll very likely find that only two thermostat wires from the inside are hooked up.

At this point, as I said, the best thing you could do is have a competent HVAC contractor review your needs, and see what needs to be changed to complete that system.

Advertisement