DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Zone Valve not working

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am new here and I did peruse the site to find an answer to my problem..but struck out.

I have radiant in-floor heat with an indirect water heater. Last year Zone 4 quit working and I finally got around to looking at it. I finally figured out the front / removeable ahlf of the thermostat on the wall was not making good contact with the permanently (screwed to the wall) half of the thermostat. I fixed that by spreading the front half pins a little bit further aprat and now the thermostat is calling for heat. the green light is on. However, the red light will not come on. I took a meter downstairs to the Argo AZ-6P zone valve control box and found the following:
@ the switch behind the Honeywell zone valve: 2 red wires: meter on ACV 200 either 0 or 17.5v, depending on which lead is touchign which red wire..
@ the actuator: 2 yellow wires 19.1v or 26.4v depending on which lead touches which yellow wire

just the actuator removed: orange & yellow wires: Ohm 200 on meter: 23.6 or 23.6..no matter which kead touches which wire

with actuator connected to zone valve: orange & yellow wire: 6.7v, again no matter which lead touches the wires

Any thoughts as to why the red light will not come on? I actually had a 2nd Honeywell zone valve and swapped them out: i get the same above readings.

Even putting the switch in the manual position does not allow water to flow thru the pipes in the floor..

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi, I pulled the power head off completely and moved the valve spindle back & forth. It moves very easily about 45 degrees. But, which direction is open when looking straight at the valve spindle..the zone valve is mounted horizontally, facing into the room. I currently have it turned all the way to the left. I am guessing it is in the open position as the radiant pipes in the bedroom wall are now very hot to the touch....ouch. I will know int he morning if the floors have heated up. If they have, would that mean the powerhead, which is the actuator, is bad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.