DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Zone system not working with heat.

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  trollmastergeneral 
#1 ·
I have a 4 zone controller (RCS Model ZC4) with three zones currently set up. My HVAC system is a standard forced air Heating-A/C system (no heat pump). There are 3 RiteTemp 8050 thermostats connected to the controller and a single 12" damper on each zone. The system works perfectly with A/C, but it's giving me trouble with the heat.

I can connect everything and the system runs for a few days, but then it quits. None of the thermostats will start the heat until I remove the wiring and then reconnect everything. I can bypass the zone controller by connecting one of the thermostats to the HVAC wires and it works without zoning so I know it's not the HVAC system.

Has anyone experienced this and/or have any ideas of where to go next?

TIA!

#3 ·
I've been reading about putting in a "dump zone" to keep from creating back pressure when only one zone is open. I don't have one so is that something that would cause a zone controller to go into lock out mode? I can add one pretty easily in a room we don't use if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.