Zone Damper Questions - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Zone Damper Questions

Hello all! I have a few questions about an issue that I am having with my HVAC system in my condo.
1. My zone damper has been making this terrible whining noise for quite some time now. Recently it stopped making the noise and just makes a hum like a motor is seized inside or something. Does anyone know what I could be looking at to replace this as far as parts and cost of repair?
2. I live in a single floor condo with three bedrooms and two bathrooms. It is only 1080 sq. ft. with that being said; all I have been able to find out about zone dampers is that they are used to separate two floors or zones for heating via a control module. My system does not have a control module, all it has is a manual timer (the type with metal spades inserted into slots to control when it comes on and for how long). I am struggling to find out why this piece of equipment is used in my HVAC system. It is also tied to the master bathroom exhaust fan so when the timer kicks the damper on it also turns on the exhaust fan. When the exhaust fan is switched on in the bathroom, it also activates the zone damper. What does this configuration do for my HVAC system? The only thing I can think of is moisture control. Am I barking up the right tree?
3. My last question stems from the above question. Lately my condo has accumulated a large excessive amount of dust. It is plastered all over the ceiling fans, walls and pictures. You can actually write your name in it! I have cleaned it off of everything once before, only to have it reappear in large quantities after about two weeks. At first I thought it must be old carpet but after brainstorming what the zone damper might be for I realized that these issues could be related. What do you guys think?
Thank you for any help you can give as I am a first time home owner and this is my first post to this site!

Advertisement

rkelly_83543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,484

Zone Damper Questions

So you don't have a thermostat to control temp in your condo?

Or are you looking at the fresh air make up system. And talking about it?

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Zone Damper Questions

I do have one thermostat to control heat. The condo is not equipped with A/C. The thermostat is analog.
rkelly_83543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,484

Zone Damper Questions

Your probably talking about a fresh air make up system.

You may have a central exhaust system for the bathrooms. And the switch and timer open and close the dampers to that system.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac , zone damper , zoning