DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   York variable speed blower motor issues (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/york-variable-speed-blower-motor-issues-146752/)

reubj 06-11-2012 06:51 PM

York variable speed blower motor issues
 
This is a 2 ton 15eer York A/C installed fall 2010. Recently the blower fan doesn't start when required. The compressor will run but the blower doesn't run. I shut off the compressor but leave the fan in the ON position. Hours later the fan will start. At that time if I switch to COOL the system will run as long as the fan remains in ON position (not AUTO). If I switch the fan to AUTO everything is fine until the next temperature cycle; the fan will not start when told to by the compressor. The service tech replaced the blower motor and module but the issue is still present. The techs are scratching their heads. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Doc Holliday 06-11-2012 06:58 PM

The compressor doesn't tell anything to come on, it is told to come on the same way the fan in the blower is, by the control board if this is a gas furnace and we're talking about the inside blower motor.

Ask for a lead technician. It is very simply to trace down controls to see if anything is or is not receiving voltage during a call, much easier than changing parts unwittlingly.

It sounds like a simple thermostat problem from here. Do you have tools, a digital multimeter?

beenthere 06-11-2012 07:04 PM

Could be the control board for the blower, since you said it takes a while for the blower to run even when you switch the thermostat to fan "on".

beenthere 06-11-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 941200)
The compressor doesn't tell anything to come on, it is told to come on the same way the fan in the blower is, by the control board if this is a gas furnace and we're talking about the inside blower motor.

Ask for a lead technician. It is very simply to trace down controls to see if anything is or is not receiving voltage during a call, much easier than changing parts unwittlingly.

It sounds like a simple thermostat problem from here. Do you have tools, a digital multimeter?

It may be a thermostat problem. However, on that unit the outdoor unit does tell the blower when to go to high speed. If its wired up right.

reubj 06-11-2012 07:08 PM

Thanks for the response.
What I meant was the blower doesn't come on when the cooling cycle starts.
Yes I have a multimeter. I can't imagine these electricians don't know enough to check thermostat voltage. Apparently a few years ago York acknowledged a similar problem that they couldn't figure out.

http://www.therustyfirebox.com/fireb...york_20ton.pdf

Thanks again for the help.

beenthere 06-11-2012 07:25 PM

That only applied to gas/electric RTUs.

Does the blower come on every time you turn the fan switch to "on"?

reubj 06-11-2012 07:30 PM

The blower does not come on when switched to ON. However, if left in the ON position it will come on anywhere from 2 to 4 hours later and remain on.

carmon 06-11-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reubj (Post 941220)
The blower does not come on when switched to ON. However, if left in the ON position it will come on anywhere from 2 to 4 hours later and remain on.

sounds like control board... you need to rule out thermostat first.... take stat off wall jump R-G and see if blower motor starts.... I doubt its the stat but stranger things have happened...most of them today...:mad:

Doc Holliday 06-11-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 941206)
It may be a thermostat problem. However, on that unit the outdoor unit does tell the blower when to go to high speed. If its wired up right.


I'll just shut up now...:(

:thumbup:

carmon 06-11-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 941357)
I'll just shut up now...:(

:thumbup:

easy doc.... go have a beer....:thumbup:

beenthere 06-11-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 941357)
I'll just shut up now...:(

:thumbup:

Trane also makes their 16i condenser control the blower for high speed. I think their 20i does also. I believe a few others brands use similar on their 2 stage also.

Its real hard to stay up with how what is controlled in each brand and model line.

Doc Holliday 06-11-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmon (Post 941361)
easy doc.... go have a beer....:thumbup:


I quit drinking, started meetings. Last had a drink My 4th. :thumbsup:

I'll go for a jog in the morning, much better. Thanks though.

carmon 06-11-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday (Post 941370)
I quit drinking, started meetings. Last had a drink My 4th. :thumbsup:

I'll go for a jog in the morning, much better. Thanks though.

funny you say that.... I quit a few years ago.....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.