York Ignitor Issues - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

York Ignitor Issues

I have 2 York Diamond 80's in my attic (12 years old). One of them would randomly not blow heat. The fan and blower would work but no heat. I found that the ignitor was not glowing so of course it wouldn't light. Finally yesterday it got too cold in the house and I started trying to find the problem. After much research I figured it was just the ignitor. Today I went and got a new one and got it installed. Still no glow. It cycles through ok but will not light because there is no heat source. I used a tester and found that there is power coming out of the jack.
So my idea was to take the one off the good unit and test the new ignitor, which I did. No luck! Then I replaced the original ignitor to the working unit now it is not working. Same issue. I have tried everything I can think to get them back on. Any ideas? I lit them by hand just to get some heat going and they work fine until they automaticaly shut off, then I have to go relight them when the temp drops.

Advertisement

fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
no loose ends

Rewards Points: 25

York Ignitor Issues

Check the neutral. You may have to go back to the breaker panel. Though you have voltage you may not have a true enough connection to complete the circuit.

Advertisement

undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #3

York Ignitor Issues

Thanks for your time. Let's forget the 1st unit it was already malfunctioning when I started. My question is, are these things so tempermental? All I did on the second unit which was working fine was unplug and unscrew the ignitor? Is that enough to disrupt things? The power was off the entire time except for when I connected the new one to check it. I didn't crack it or touch it with my bare hands.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

York Ignitor Issues

I would check the voltage on the ignitor when it is supposed to be on with it still connected. If you get no voltage, then I would check for a poor connection both hot and neutral. I'm not familiar with the York design but if the two motors run, then the connection problem would be from ignitor to control module. There is also a chance that the air pressure switch is not closing. Is there a fault indicator light?
hoistdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #5

York Ignitor Issues

I just picked up a voltage meter on the way home. There is a an indicator and it is blinking slowly once in lockout. The legend says it means "no call for heat". It does work well once ignited. Last night I went up and lit it a few times and it would stay on until the therm reached temp.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #6

York Ignitor Issues

Hoistdoctor your were right. On the first unit there is no ground coming in. I plugged one wire into the hot wire and grounded the other wire on the unit and it fired right up. On the second unit I found a tiny hairline crack that must have happen when I removed it. It was old and must have been even more fragile then usual. I took good care not to bang it on anything. It was cracked right where the flame had been hitting it. New ignitor and it fired right up. Now my question is, is it possible that the board on the first unit is no loger grounding this wire? If not can I just ground it to the unit and be fine, or is there some sort of circuit that stays open until it time to fire?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

York Ignitor Issues

Glad to help. All of the 120 volt loads should have a common neutral. If you trace with the voltmeter you might find a poor connection on the neutral to the ignitor. You should try to make it work without your "extra" ground though I doubt it would cause any problem if you left it that way.
hoistdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #8

York Ignitor Issues

I traced as far back as I knew how to, which was back to the board. The ground going to the board is fine. It's something between the ground going in and the ground plug for the ignitor coming off the board. There seems to be no ground or neutral coming from the board for the ignitor. All else seems to be working fine. I just wanted to make sure there was no safety device that only connected the ground when it was time for the ignitor to fire.
Thanks again

Advertisement