York H4DB036S06A Not Working - Fan Not Spinning - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 45

York H4DB036S06A not working - fan not spinning

I have a York H4DB036S06A Air conitioner that has stopped working. Unfortunately my wife did not shut it down right away and am hoping she did not burn out the compressor even if it is something simple.

For starters I was going to order the cap. Its a dual run and it is listed as a 45 + 5 uF. Are these spec'ed as 45uF from common to one terminal and 5uF from the common to the other terminal? I would like to test this with a multimeter first.

Here is what I have done so far. I believe the coimpressor is kicking on since I can here it hum. Fan does not turn but with stick test it seems to move freely. I have not tried to get the fan to run with the thermostat turning it on yet since I didnt want to stress the compressor any more.

Is there an easy way to check the fan motor and test it? Compressor?

Test the cap other than with multimeter? There is no visual bulge to the cap.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

whoppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 805

You have the cap testing right. You will need a meter that reads MFD.

Advertisement

Bitters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitters View Post
You have the cap testing right. You will need a meter that reads MFD.
Yes, I have a multimeter that measures capacitance, uF.

Is my assumption correct, when the dual run cap is specified 45+5, should I measure 45uF between one terminal and common and 5uF between the other terminal and common?

Thanks
whoppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppr View Post
Yes, I have a multimeter that measures capacitance, uF.

Is my assumption correct, when the dual run cap is specified 45+5, should I measure 45uF between one terminal and common and 5uF between the other terminal and common?

Thanks
Yes. Between Herm ( compressor ) and C it should be 45.

First you need to discharge it with a screwdriver across those terminals and same for the F ( fan ) to C. Wear safety glasses or use a resistor as there is a 1 in a million chance it could explode. You should check it with an ohmeter as it sounds like yours has a open circuit. If it is good the ohmeter will charge it with it's battery and the resistance will change. If it is open the you get OL open line or infinity. If good then check the capacitance.
supers05 (08-05-2015)