Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |

York Gas Furnace with multiple problems

I have a small York gas furnace from around 1994 (I guess it is a Yorkie) which services my sunroom (it would have been nice if they had it service the upper level instead, but go figure). It stopped working due to an open rollout switch (5 blinks on the trouble light). I powered it down, cleaned the filter and the furnace and it fired fine (inducer, igniter, flame, blower). After a day I got the same problem again. I turned it off, removed the flue to make sure it was not plugged (it was not), checked the vacuum tube (it was fine), vacuumed it all out again and put it back together. Now I get a pressure switch open (3 blinks). The draft inducer does not come on. I can suck on the vacuum hose to activate the pressure switch (I have to hold it after I suck it closed or it will re-open) and when I do the igniter glows, but the draft inducer fan never comes on. I can spin the fan by hand, so I know nothing is lodged in it. I do not even hear any hum from it.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

scratchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Roll out switch would mean that the flames are rolling out of the H X. & tripping the switch as the switch is designed to do. Have the h x checked by a PRO.The v m .could also be going bad & not pulling the flames into the H X. On the vent motor, Check the terminals that send power to the v m at the board for power. If the terminals have power. probably bad V M

Last edited by kenmac; 02-10-2011 at 09:48 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #3

Thanks Ken. I watched the working furnace for a while when it was working (after resetting the rollout switches) and saw no evidence of flame inconsistencies. I have not taken it apart to where I can see the heat exchanger and my mirror won't fit so tested Carbon Monoxide at the vents and got none, so ruled out the HX. I think you have a good point about the possibility that the vent motor may be failing so I will check the power at the board and get back to you. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #4

I tested the leads from the board to the vent motor and get no power...so I guess it is the board
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
HVAC / Plumbing

Probably relay on board went. You can test the vm by applying 110 v to the leads
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #6

Thanks again Ken. It gets even more interesting. I tested the fan and it worked fine, so I shut it down to get the numbers off the control board, and when I put it back together I powered it up just for grins and it did nothing, including not giving me any error light. I left it, ordered a new control board and when I came back to it in a half hour it was running. It has been working fine now for a day and a half with quite a bit of use since it has been in the 20s.

Last edited by scratchman; 02-12-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: More info.