DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

York furnace problems

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1 1/2 yr old York 97% efficient middle of the line furnace. It has worked great for about a year, but recently I have been having problems. When I call for heat, It does its normal inducer fan, then burners fire up, and then within 4 seconds the blower kicks on, prematurley, blowing cold air for about 30 seconds until it heats up. Also was getting a 3 red blink and 5 red blink codes. Had the pro over to fix. He checked it all out and replaced both pressure switches and changed two of the three orfices the first visit, then put in a new main board next time. We fired it up and same exact problem. He said the blower shouldn't kick on for at least 30 seconds and the board is the only thing that controls it, which makes sense and is how it used to run when new. Were both puzzled. Could it be the variable speed blower? Any one have a clue on this one?

#4 · (Edited)
I ran it without the 16x25x5 filter and it heated up a lot quicker, only took aboub 8 seconds to blow warm air compared to 30 seconds with the filter in. Still don't understand why the blower is coming on so soon, but for now I'll just get a new filter. The filter was dated 11/09. So if mine is a merv 10, what would be a slightly less restrictive merv 8 or merv 12? Not sure what the merv numbers mean.

#5 ·
The MERV 10 may be ok to use. But it is NOT designed to be used for 17 months. 9 to 12 months max.

Post full model number of furnace.

#7 ·
Thats not a middle of the line model, it was part of York's top of the line. The blower on those do start fairly quick.

MERV 8 is ok, as that is about what a wet evap coil would be rated at. But don't leave it in so long. That is a very very expensive Baldor ball bearing PSC motor. Its speed is varies by the Triacs on the blower board, and that isn't a cheap board either.

Reactions: WHM08
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.