York Diamond 90 P3URB12N Intermittent Ignition Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

York Diamond 90 P3URB12N Intermittent Ignition Problem

Thought I had solved the problem of Code 7 "Lockout Caused by No Ignition After 3 Attempts" by cleaning the flame sensor located on the far right burner (of four) of my late-2003 York Diamond 90 Model P3URB12N07501E.
Next day, same issue, 7 blinks of the red light on the circuit board and a chilly house. After resetting and manually beginning the ignition sequence by pressing the kill switch on the lower panel, I observed that when gas began flowing to the burners (draft motor and igniter sequence OK) only the two left burners were receiving gas and igniting for several seconds. Since gas was not flowing to the right two burners, the flame sensor shut down the sequence.
This happened twice, but on the third attempt of the sequence, gas did flow and was ignited at all four burners, and the unit remained lit (since the flame sensor was detecting flame) and warmed the house to the temp set at the thermostat.
Unit seemed to work properly for a couple of days and I heard the furnace come on in the early hours of last night, but woke up again this morning to a chillier house and sure enought, back to a code 7 fault.
Once again I manually began the igition sequence with the same result: two failed attempts due to gas not flowing to the two right burners, but igniting on the third attempt when gas did flow to the two right burners, and the flame sensor detected ignition.
When running, the unit appears to be working normally, all four burners lit and operating.
It would seem that this problem, which I only noticed last week, may have been going on for some time, i.e. ignition occurring on a second or third attempt, and now for some reason intermittently not igniting within the three-try limit, and coding 7 lockout.
What would cause gas not to flow to the two right burners occasionally during the ignition sequence, but then flow normally after several attepmts and/or manually initiating? (And is it safe to operate the furnace this way before the problem is corrected?)
Many thanks.

Advertisement

kelton56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 502

dirty burners and the crossovers that connect them. low gas pressure from your meter outside .gas valve not opening properly and giving low manifold pressure. not really safe to use as raw gas is shooting into the heat exchanger and could ignite with a delayed ignition which is never a good idea.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

In other words what Yuri is trying to tell you is to remove and clean the burners, paying particular attention to the crossover wings on the burners. It is safe to wash them in the dishwasher, just make sure they are dry why you re-install them into the furnace.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Many thanks to both of you, Yuri and Harleyrider. As a follow up, the cover to the compartment housing the burners, with the convenient viewing hole, is attached with four sheet metal screws, but once the screws are removed, does not easily detach. Is it sealed with some kind of sealant or insulation? Didn't want to create another problem trying to access the burners. Many thanks.
kelton56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelton56 View Post
Many thanks to both of you, Yuri and Harleyrider. As a follow up, the cover to the compartment housing the burners, with the convenient viewing hole, is attached with four sheet metal screws, but once the screws are removed, does not easily detach. Is it sealed with some kind of sealant or insulation? Didn't want to create another problem trying to access the burners. Many thanks.
lol........yes its most likely never been removed.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 502

carefully pry it off, usually has a thin gasket on the back which you don't want to tear. I usually blow them out with compressed air and then flush them with hot H20 in the kitchen sink. Make sure they are dry B4 putting back in.

Advertisement