Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

york diamond 80 new never installed, burners won't stay lit

I just installed this unit after having it for several years. It is a downflow model. Normal cycle begins, but after burners light they shut off. I cleaned and even changed the flame sensor from another unit but with no luck. I tried jumping all the sensors, nothing changed. I am getting the 7 flash error code that is the failure to ignite. I am not a professional just have some experience with my rental homes. I bought this unit at a frieght salvage sale. It had a few dings, but nothing major. I have installed several of these and this is the first I have had problem with. The gas line is new from the meter. I have read in other places including the manual that I could be getting low gas pressure????? could there be a problem with the meter or line? I hooked up only the red white wire to the thermostat, could this be an issue? any help with be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by bsmith23; 12-21-2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added more content
bsmith23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,712

ow gas pressure could be the problem. But it could also be a bad ground to the furnace.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith23 View Post
I just installed this unit after having it for several years. It is a downflow model. Normal cycle begins, but after burners light they shut off. I cleaned and even changed the flame sensor from another unit but with no luck. I tried jumping all the sensors, nothing changed. I am getting the 7 flash error code that is the failure to ignite. I am not a professional just have some experience with my rental homes. I bought this unit at a frieght salvage sale. It had a few dings, but nothing major. I have installed several of these and this is the first I have had problem with. The gas line is new from the meter. I have read in other places including the manual that I could be getting low gas pressure????? could there be a problem with the meter or line? I hooked up only the red white wire to the thermostat, could this be an issue? any help with be greatly appreciated!
Is the unit properly grounded? if so then you have a bad ignition board.

Sorry beenthere........dident see your post before i posted.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,712

No problem.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I checked for bad ground this morning after your suggestions. I was thinking I might find that the green wire was not hooked up, which I would have been surprised that made any difference since it is just a reduntant neutral anyway. When I opened up the connection box I realized that my helper was the one who hooked up the wiring and we used a power cord to plug it in instead of hard wiring it. So when I noticed this it hit me, he didn't trace the hot and neutral leads from the outlet to the furnace, because I tried switching them and it fired right up! I knew that I had read if this happened the unit would be shut down, but I assumed it wouldn't make it this far down the start up sequence. Thanks for your help, saved me a service call!
bsmith23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

I was just explaining that to a kid at school tonight about newer units with boards in them being polarity sensitive!

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote