Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 134
Share |
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Actually several. Doing a gut rehab for my family to live in. Installing 4 bathroom exhaust fans. (sorry for the extremely long winded post)

Two of the fans will vent out the soffit in the first pic. I recognize the negatives of not running them thorugh the roof. I simply don't want any more roof penetrations.
To complicate the situation, my soffits run parallel with the roofline. ie at a 3.75/12 pitch back to the wall. In otherwords, a "triangle" is created that will probably trap the moisture. Local big box stores don't seem to carry any soffit vent kits. A google search produced a few. Nothing that really grabbed me. Here a link to one I found on Amazon. It's about the closest thing to what I'm visualizing I need. However, due to my non-horizontal soffit, the flapper probably wouldn't perform correctly (unless I squared it off). Not to mention, it looks cheaply built. Hoping someone can steer me toward a product they've seen or used.

http://www.amazon.com/Undereve-Soffi...uct/B000H5PTSG

I ran across this post at another DIYer forum. (Didn't want to join yet another forum just to ask what we was refering to) Here's a copy of his post. Anyone know what he's talking about?

Cut an opening in the soffit to accomodate the special "T" vent grille. This soffit grille looks like an upside down T .The exhausted air is fed into the single entry and is exhausted sideways into each leg of the T.
Both of these exit legs have a "backdraft flap to avoid any air from re-entering after the fan has shut off.
Most hardware store have them. A 4" diam. smooth metal pipe and fittings is best from fan housing to this T termination point. This T shape grille, when installed will only protrude approx 1" below the soffit, and it looks good too..... It sounds promising.

Next question. Would any of you recommend hooking these two together and having only one soffit vent? Complications? (this portion of house in the pic is actually seperated into two rooms. a half bath on the right, and part of a full bath on the left).



OK, next question - In this second pic, the small horizontal awning window is in the shower area of a 3/4 bath on the first floor. I'd like to install an exhaust fan in this bath as well. But the only area I can exit is 12" directly above this window. And is also partially under the second story bedroom window, about 28" below. It's my understanding, I can't do this? Any thoughts please.



And since I've already written a novel here, one more question. My washer/dryer placement is near the center of the home. It's a 16' run with two elbows to get it outside. Can I get away with this? It's my understanding that I'm allowed a 25' run?? And if I figure in elbow resistence, I'm too long? Any thoughts on this??

Thanks very much for any and all responses. More important, my wife thanks you Every problem I solve, gets her closer to living in her new home.......
__________________
You can't fix stupid.....
JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 278
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Non-Pro here. Judging by the housewrap, windows, etc., I assume that your house will be on the tight side.

Don't know your family status, but could possibly have 2 or more bathrooms (fans) going at the same time. Add to that, breakfast being prepared (cooking) at the same time.

Any provision for replacement air? What are you using/planning for heating/hot water?

V

P.S., will all of the windows (except maybe that little one) get that outdoor frame (very nice). Do they create an airtight seal?
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 134
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
Non-Pro here. Judging by the housewrap, windows, etc., I assume that your house will be on the tight side.

Yes, very tight. I failed to mention, it will be a conditioned attic, so no worries about condensation being drawn back into the attic space.

Don't know your family status, but could possibly have 2 or more bathrooms (fans) going at the same time. Add to that, breakfast being prepared (cooking) at the same time.

At the moment no, but in a few years, yes. Currently - wife, husband, 2 year old, and a 4th due in June.

Any provision for replacement air? What are you using/planning for heating/hot water?

Good question. An air exchanger is surely in my future. Which brings up another question. Can I incorporate bathroom exhaust with a whole house air exchanger??
Heat will be retro-fitted under-floor hydronic floor heat. Heat source to be determined, but most likely a condensing boiler, with an indirect water tank.

V

P.S., will all of the windows (except maybe that little one) get that outdoor frame (very nice). Do they create an airtight seal?
Not sure what you mean in your P.S.

Thanks for the response!
Jules
__________________
You can't fix stupid.....
JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 278
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Is it the lighting, but the upstairs windows seem to be different from the lower floor (Frame).

Regarding air replacement: was concerned that, with tight house, low air infiltration could affect lower efficiency gas appliances. May not apply in your case.

Sorry, can't help with your other questions.

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 134
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
Is it the lighting, but the upstairs windows seem to be different from the lower floor (Frame).

Regarding air replacement: was concerned that, with tight house, low air infiltration could affect lower efficiency gas appliances. May not apply in your case.

V
The little window is a casement (awning), all the others are double hungs. I elected to hang them all via mounting flanges, kicking them out as far as possible, as my wife likes to have deep window frame shelves.

I will definitely have to incorporate some form of air exchanger.
__________________
You can't fix stupid.....
JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 278
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


I'm surprised that no PROs have chimed in.

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 134
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
I'm surprised that no PROs have chimed in.

V
Agreed....
__________________
You can't fix stupid.....
JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,876
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Your windows are flashed ineffectively. The bottom flange should be exposed- outside of the flashing and set in caulking, the housewrap should be over the top flange of the window head. The windows need to sit on a tapered siding shim with flex wrap or widow wrap installed, then window. Recommend metal head flashing, if not required. Where is your rafter blocking?
Fans need to exit 3' from any house opening, windows, doors, air supply, etc.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...x?nterms=63740
pp. #8; http://www.mtcc1170.com/images/BCRainScreen.pdf
Tapered sill; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...WrZBbBZoIUXgxw

Check with the dryer manufacturer on the length, use a wide open (Type A) hood termination; http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

Gary
__________________
Clothes taking longer to dry?
Clean the dryer screen in HOT water if using fabric softener sheets.
They leave a residue that impedes air-flow, costing you money.
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Your siding supplier will have vents. The shouldn't have a flapper in it. They will have some scene. The fan itself should have a flapper on it.
Chris4mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4mx
Your siding supplier will have vents. The shouldn't have a flapper in it. They will have some screen. The fan itself should have a flapper on it.
They should have manny colors.
Chris4mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 134
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4mx View Post
Your siding supplier will have vents. The shouldn't have a flapper in it. They will have some scene. The fan itself should have a flapper on it.
Thanks Chris.
I'm wanting a quality "flapper" out at the soffit so as to keep cold, or hot air, from travelling back into the house.
__________________
You can't fix stupid.....
JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 134
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Your windows are flashed ineffectively. The bottom flange should be exposed- outside of the flashing and set in caulking, the housewrap should be over the top flange of the window head. The windows need to sit on a tapered siding shim with flex wrap or widow wrap installed, then window. Recommend metal head flashing, if not required. Where is your rafter blocking?
Fans need to exit 3' from any house opening, windows, doors, air supply, etc.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...x?nterms=63740
pp. #8; http://www.mtcc1170.com/images/BCRainScreen.pdf
Tapered sill; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...WrZBbBZoIUXgxw

Check with the dryer manufacturer on the length, use a wide open (Type A) hood termination; http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

Gary
Appreciate the links.
I didn't even want to wrap the house, as I intend to stucco it. Didn't figure it needed it. However coding forced me to. The ironic thing is, I wrapped it in accordance to how the inspector told me, rolling the edges around and back into the window cavities.

Did a search on the particular dryer my wife wants. I'm well within suggested limits. Appreciate the dryer vent site as well. I've always known to use rigid pipe whenever possible, but didn't know there was type A and B vents. Always learning......

Thanks.

Edit: Just called a friend who helped me frame the house, and he just learned, yesterday quite coincedently, that there's a new Tyvek house wrapping manual out. Included in it, they recommend cutting a slit to slide just the top window mounting flange under the wrap.
__________________
You can't fix stupid.....

Last edited by JulesB; 03-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.
JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesB View Post
I ran across this post at another DIYer forum. (Didn't want to join yet another forum just to ask what we was refering to) Here's a copy of his post. Anyone know what he's talking about?

Cut an opening in the soffit to accomodate the special "T" vent grille. This soffit grille looks like an upside down T .The exhausted air is fed into the single entry and is exhausted sideways into each leg of the T.
Both of these exit legs have a "backdraft flap to avoid any air from re-entering after the fan has shut off.
Most hardware store have them. A 4" diam. smooth metal pipe and fittings is best from fan housing to this T termination point. This T shape grille, when installed will only protrude approx 1" below the soffit, and it looks good too..... It sounds promising.
I think he's talking about one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/DEFLECTO-EVE-6...9173918&sr=1-6

I need to vent a couple bathrooms too and have been considering the vent you linked in your first post. Fortunately, my soffits are flat. But, getting 3' from an opening might be tough, and using the soffit isn't ideal. The alternative is a 20' run to the gable end, or putting two more holes in the roof in close proximity to four existing ones. It will be like swiss cheese up there.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,876
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


If there is a bath fan termination hood without a flapper, the outside air will travel into the ducting (hopefully insulated and v.b.) dropping the inside duct temperature to condense the moisture extracted from the bathroom, leading to water leaks or mold in the attic.

Stucco really needs two layers of housewrap; http://www.fortifiber.com/pdf/News_I...o%20Layers.pdf

The stucco will stick to the housewrap, causing water leaks as the stucco is a water reservoir siding, pp.6; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...WrZBbBZoIUXgxw

No housewrap is only asking for trouble; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...DCcvwQ&cad=rja

Gary
__________________
Clothes taking longer to dry?
Clean the dryer screen in HOT water if using fabric softener sheets.
They leave a residue that impedes air-flow, costing you money.
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 134
Default

Yet another bathroom exhaust fan venting question


Quote:
Originally Posted by thadsaab View Post
I think he's talking about one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/DEFLECTO-EVE-6...9173918&sr=1-6

I need to vent a couple bathrooms too and have been considering the vent you linked in your first post. Fortunately, my soffits are flat. But, getting 3' from an opening might be tough, and using the soffit isn't ideal. The alternative is a 20' run to the gable end, or putting two more holes in the roof in close proximity to four existing ones. It will be like swiss cheese up there.
That must be it. My biggest problem with the various units listed on Amazon (and elsewhere) is they don't cost enough When one only gives 6 dollars and change for something, it's hard to expect quality.

Sounds like you are in a very similiar situation. As previously stated, I hate roof penetrations. I only have ONE, a 4" plumbing vent, and hope to keep it at that.
I'm at a loss as to what to do with the downstairs bath venting. I'm sure they make some crazy ventless fan, or something, but I'm not aware of it yet.

Thanks for solving the mystery "T" vent. Much appreciated.
Regards,
Jules
__________________
You can't fix stupid.....
JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding bathroom exhaust fan DownRiverGuy HVAC 2 01-15-2011 04:18 PM
New Bathroom Drain Question militaryman Plumbing 1 01-06-2011 09:09 AM
Bathroom 20A Dedicated Question... bparise Electrical 5 10-11-2009 12:39 PM
Bathroom exhaust fans PirateKatz HVAC 7 11-18-2008 03:09 PM
Venting up vs out for bathroom, kitchen pcampbell HVAC 12 11-15-2008 10:02 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.