Yellow CSST Question(s) - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Yellow CSST question(s)

Greetings............we are presently renovating a home and plan to use LP gas for a forced air furnace, a tankless HW heater, a gas stove, and a log set.
Our local propane company installed a single yellow Tracpipe from the supply tank with 3 tee's branching off to the various appliances. The system was air pressure tested and passed by our local building official who later contacted me with concerns about the amount of splices in the tubing. He wished to verify that the particular brass fittings used were specified by the manufacturer for burial in a wallboard closed ceiling bay or similar confined space.
I later checked with the gas company and they verified with the building department that the correct fitting were used so the system is good to go as far as the gas company and the building department are concerned.
Is this type of installation a common practice and should I have any concerns here? Thanks.

Advertisement

Rustygaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,608

Yellow CSST question(s)

if the city and gas company are happy with it I guess its ok then......I would not want any fittings behind the walls or in ceiling if at all possible even if it cost more....we plumb to a manifold with valves then branch to each fixture..JUST ME....fittings accessable...

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-24-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Yellow CSST question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustygaff View Post
Greetings............we are presently renovating a home and plan to use LP gas for a forced air furnace, a tankless HW heater, a gas stove, and a log set.
Our local propane company installed a single yellow Tracpipe from the supply tank with 3 tee's branching off to the various appliances. The system was air pressure tested and passed by our local building official who later contacted me with concerns about the amount of splices in the tubing. He wished to verify that the particular brass fittings used were specified by the manufacturer for burial in a wallboard closed ceiling bay or similar confined space.
I later checked with the gas company and they verified with the building department that the correct fitting were used so the system is good to go as far as the gas company and the building department are concerned.
Is this type of installation a common practice and should I have any concerns here? Thanks.
no worries......trac pipe, warflex, and a hundred other names it is sold under, its the gas line of the 21 st centrury.Its easy to work with, goes in 10 times faster then black pipe and is very cost effective. I have ran miles of it and never had a single problem with it.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Yellow CSST question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
no worries......trac pipe, warflex, and a hundred other names it is sold under, its the gas line of the 21 st centrury.Its easy to work with, goes in 10 times faster then black pipe and is very cost effective. I have ran miles of it and never had a single problem with it.
Dont forget it also looks like crap as installed by 99% of the installers/homeowners out there!
Have you ever seen a house that was gas piped with it without proper grounding/bonding after being hit by lightning back in the days before the code changes ?
Would burn pin holes all the way down the line ,ive torn out miles of it and replaced with black pipe.
Anyway ive got to go flip the 8 track in my player and finish piping a water heater in
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Yellow CSST question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Dont forget it also looks like crap as installed by 99% of the installers/homeowners out there!
Have you ever seen a house that was gas piped with it without proper grounding/bonding after being hit by lightning back in the days before the code changes ?
Would burn pin holes all the way down the line ,ive torn out miles of it and replaced with black pipe.
Anyway ive got to go flip the 8 track in my player and finish piping a water heater in
Sounds like a bunch of hacks put in the jobs you been on .............get better help.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Yellow CSST question(s)

None of my help would install any of that stuff on any of my jobs under penalty of redo on their own time!
Ive got another hack job/remodel somebody else did that i looked at today i have to start redoing all the wiring/plumbing on tomorrow.
To their credit whoever did the framing/drywall did nice work!
The guys that did everything else need to be beaten with their own tols though!
Ill take some pictures tomorrow!
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Yellow CSST question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustygaff
It sounds like the inspector is still green, and either questioning what they have heard from the old timers, what they have learned in class, and what the actual code states. As long as your supplier follows state and national code, I would ask the AHJ to back up what they are stating is contridicting, by showing the section, if they red tag you.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Yellow CSST question(s)

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. The local building inspector did approve the install providing the gas company used the Tracpipe approved Autoflare fittings and the pipe is properly bonded to our electrical ground system.
My only concern is whether or not 3 Autoflare tee's buried in a ceiling are safe regardless of what the manufacturer and the gas salesman state.
If I opted to pull the Tracpipe and install "home runs" linking all 4 appliances to a manifold, it would be pretty costly I imagine . If this option were employed, I would go with an electric stove, delete the fireplace, and only feed the hw heater and furnace with gas.
As a side note, I mentioned earlier that the system was air pressure tested when installed. A hand pump was used to pressurize the system to about 10 to 15 PSI on the attached gauge. Its been a couple of weeks now and cold here in the northeast. I noticed the pressure has dropped to about 7 or 8 #. My HVAC guy told me cold temps will cause the pressure to drop even though the system is airtight. Some use nitrogen for testing to avoid the pressure drop issue I was also told.

Advertisement

Rustygaff is offline   Reply With Quote