Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #1

Share |

XV90 Trane not producing heat

Hi all,

Summer is over and it's starting to get chilly so I tried turning on the heat on my XV90 Trane furnace and presto! no heat... The fan is blowing cool air. I pulled the cover and I'm getting a SOLID red (faulty IFC, according to code guide) with a slow flashing green light (working normal, no call for heat). However I turned up the heat on my White-Rodgers thermostat to have it call for heat and but the green light continues to blink at the same speed; according to the code guide it should be a fast blinking green light. (another possible problem??)

At this point I'm resolved to pulling the board and replacing it with KIT1581 (Trane/American Standard Intigrated Furnace Control with Ignitor and Wiring) but it costs $420 online and probably more if I buy it local (I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada). At least I'll save on labour if I replace it myself. This kit is supposed to replace CNT04985, CNT04678, CNT05160, CNT04985, CNT03777, CNT04678, so I'm gonna double check to make sure I have the right one. I'm going to call the Trane sales office to see how much this kit costs in CAD.

I've already tried turning it off/on/off/on within 30 seconds, and turning it off for 10 minutes and back on. I have a Honeywell Total Zone 4 plus two add-on panels to control the zones. I've tried resetting the Honeywell panel and bypassing the purge cycle, both of which didn't have effect. Any thoughts on what else I could try? Any help would be appreciated.

Sula

Sulaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
HVAC Tech/Owner

might not be that.

Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
might not be that.
Any ideas what it might be?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

I checked the circuit board this afternoon after leaving the heat off but keeping the fan on all day and the continuous red light was off! It was flashing 1x every 20 seconds, which is "Red Led Lite Port fm Data"; everything is normal.

So I turn up thermostat, the honeywell panel calls for heat in that zone and the green light starts flashing twice as fast, mean "call for heat". I hear a click and what sounds like the ignitor firing up. Maybe a problem with the ignitor? Then the red light turns on and stays on continuously while the green light slows back down to normal speed.

I have this all on video, for reference. Now I will unplugging the board to check for any bad solder joints.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #5

What is the exact model number of your furnace? XV90 is a series. The model number will help to possibly identify the problem.
firedawgsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

jumper R to W1 at the control board and push the door switch in. This will tell you if you have a wiring or thermostat error or a board error.