Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #1

Share |

Worth fixing?

I have an at least 13 y/o central A/C unit. Not sure of the brand since the info is faded out. The part number on the contactor is for Intertherm, Nordyne, etc. It is a 4 ton. It cools good when working. For awhile now it has had some trouble starting, and sometimes had to make several tries with some groaning. Occasionally it throws the breaker trying. It finally quit. I took the large cylindrical cap to the elec supply and they tested it as good. I then noticed that the top contacts on the contactor were loose and separated from it. I am wondering if I should spend $30 for a new contactor, or just get a new outside unit?
resloan is offline   Reply With Quote