DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

wood stove sharing a flue

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Grampa Bud 
#1 ·
I know most app can't share a flue and I know that a wood stove should not share a flue with an oil burner. But, I have an old home with a center chimney. the chimney has no flue tiles. there is an oil burner in the basement. I want to add a wood stove and use the chimney. I know they can't share a flue but is there a way to
1. add a flue, without having to cut apart half the house
2. split the curent flue into two seperate flues 1 for each app
3. use a liner for 1 and exhaust the other around the liner

#4 ·
If your current chimney is big enough for 2 liners to be installed in it. then yes, you can have 2 liners in one chimney.

No liner is approved to also have flue gasses on the outside of it.

Another option, is to have a power vent added to your oil furnace and direct vent it out the side of your house/basement.

#6 ·
Do Stainless steel liners support the heat from a wood stove? Just asking. Also what are the flue diameters of your oil fired furnace and the woodstove? You say the OD on your brick, unlined, chimney is 16 x 16, so if you deduct 4 inches on each side of the chimney -for the size of a brick- you have a usable ID on your chimney of 8 inches x 8 inches. I'm willing to bet that oil burner of yours has a flue diameter of 8-10 inches. Your wood stove should have a flue diameter of 6-10 inches as well. How do you propose to provide the breathing room needed for these two appliances in that one 8 x 8 hole?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.