Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

wood stove installation

Here I go again attacking another project; I have not finished all my other jobs but I need the heat.

Locals want 500 to do the work plus materials.

Can anyone provide me with links or instructions on how to install?
It was freezing last weekend when I walked into the cottage.

The measurements are as follows a 4/12
pitch asphalt shingle roof, cathedral ceiling no attic,
inside 68-71" to ceiling. Outside 5ft ht. (2ft to peak and three above)

Thanks and Happy Holidays
Tina

toolbelt Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

wood stove installation

$500 doesn't sound too bad. Maybe a bit high... I had the stove shop set mine up. It took three guys a half day to do it, and I watched the whole process -- they weren't goofing around. It cost $1000, including $700 or so for parts.

Basically, you need:

Black pipe to go to the ceiling.
An insulated thimble to go through the ceiling.
Double wall pipe to go through the roof, and three feet higher than the nearest surface.
A top for the chimney pipe.
A storm boot/flashing, etc, to keep the water out.
Any necessary bracing.

A non-combustable surface to put it on (the devil is in the details and the requirements kind of surprised me).

The instruction manual for your stove should actually explain everything in pretty good detail.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #3

wood stove installation

Yes I having the materials supplied by the store.
I thought the $500 was too steep

I was looking for some guidance because once you crack a hole in the roof you are pretty committed.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

wood stove installation

The instruction manual tells you all the specific guidance you need. "All you do" is get the parts, cut the holes and put the things in, using the required fasteners if necessary...

I think it would be really difficult for one person to do it. I think it would be super difficult for one person who had never seen it done to do it.

As you say, once you cut the roof there's no going back. Additionally, if you cut it in the wrong place, you don't have much of a good alternative. The guy who put mine on probably spent an hour on the roof. He cut a small hole to see where he was, and then made it larger a little at a time.

Also the stove is really heavy. Unluess it's that tiny Jotul, it's probably 400 lbs.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #5

wood stove installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
The instruction manual tells you all the specific guidance you need.
actually it does not. I would not be hare asking if it did.

I have the stove in place and positioning the unit to be the correct distance from flammables.

I was looking for guidance on the pipe installation.

I was going to start with small exploratory holes as I did not want to hit a rafter or truss.

thanks Tina
Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,690

wood stove installation

Make sure you know how to seal the roof jack to the shingles etc so you have no future water leaks. Looks easy on the DIY TV shows but not so easy later. When it comes to that sort of job I would rather work a couple hrs overtime at what I do best and leave it to the Pro's and have a warranty etc.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #7

wood stove installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Make sure you know how to seal the roof jack to the shingles etc so you have no future water leaks. Looks easy on the DIY TV shows but not so easy later. When it comes to that sort of job I would rather work a couple hrs overtime at what I do best and leave it to the Pro's and have a warranty etc.
yuri
I was worried about that as well cold weather and the sealer. I should have done this in the summer.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

wood stove installation

1. Contact the insurance company to make sure they will still cover the property if a wood stove is installed

2.Get a permit before starting the job, be there when the inspection is done and make the inspector go in the attic to check for combustables. Have the instrucitons for the insulated pipe on hand for the inspector.

3. Stanley makes an inexpensive, but accurate laser. Set it on the center of the outlet, to find the center of the ceiling hole. Use a coat hanger or other wire to poke into the attic. Go to the attic and find the wire. You can then determine if the smoke pipe can be vertical or if you will need to use elbows. Make sure there are no wires, pipe, ducts, or framing members in the way, before you make any large holes. Pay special attention to the clearance to combustables.

$500.00 is not bad if a LICENSED CONTRACTOR is used. He has lots invested in tools, insurance, and experience. If you are hireing off of Craigs list, you deserve what you get. Ask for a copy of the license, liabilty insurance, bond and worker's comp. Allow no work to be done without seeing the paperwork. A written contract is a good idea, even for a small project like yours. http://www.contractors-license.org/
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,690

wood stove installation

Amen Until you have been involved in a house or garage fire and had to deal with an insurance company most people think DIY is easy and rules/codes are for the other guy. Not so funny later.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote