Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

Share |

wood to oil

I am taking out my oil furnace and switching to wood. Can I pipe my wood stove into the chimney that was used for the oil furnace?? The chimney is made of concrete block.
Thank you

lullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #2

wood to oil

Currently it is not to code to share a chimney between oil & wood stoves. Tho there is not a big chance of problem.
It has been totally illegal to place gas & wood appliances on the same chimney. Real potential for a problem there.
I'd think long & hard on this one before trying it....

Last edited by beenthere; 11-14-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Removed link
Jacks-Hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #3

wood to oil

Even if code allowed I am not sure there would be enough room for the 6" chimney pipe liner.

Regardless, unless you want to be a slave to that wood stove I would suggested leaving your oil heat as backup. Do you really want to worry about being home to stoke the stove or else your house will freeze? What if a family emergency happened?
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

wood to oil

I have an oil fired boiler and a wood stove that share the same chimney. This is to code, was done with a permit, and was inspected by the local code administrator. The two devices do NOT share the same flue, my chimney has two flues. The flue for the stove had to be lined with a stainless steel liner (six inch diameter) prior to using it for the wood stove, curiously it was formerly used by the fireplace, and apparently code did not require that the flue be stainless lined for use as a fireplace.

I agree that keeping the oil fired furnace as backup is a good idea. Even though we heat primarily with wood, we still use the oil fired furnace to make hot water, and as backup heat in the winter.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote