DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood Burning Stove Pipe Question

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  yuri 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post on here, so thanks in advance for any help you guys give me. I currently have a wood burning stove in my home, but due to the age of the house and changes to the floor plan, it's now located in the kitchen rather than in the living room, where I would prefer it.

Luckily enough, it's just two feet off the adjoining living room wall, and I think it should be simple enough to pull that wall down and build a new one around it, enclosing it in the living room. I think I should be okay with that, the house being an open floor plan. I guess I should ask if anyone thinks I would have a problem with that first.

The main reason I'm posting this thread, though, is that there's a doorway on the living room side of that wall. There's absolutely no space between the edge of the doorway and the wall, so if I simply turn the stove around, part of it will inevitably end up in the doorway. Besides problems that it would create for any doors that are used there, I'm also concerned about having a hot stove so close to the doorway. I don't have kids now, but they're in the future... I think about kids running around the house, rounding the corner too fast, serious burn hazard.

So, logically, I want to set it back a few feet from the door. The only way I could do this, however is by either altering the pipe so that there's an angled section allowing the stove to be relocated, or relocating the entire pipe all the way through to the roof. I'd like to avoid the latter, but again I'm worried about the potential for heat buildup in one or all of the bends in the pipe, causing a fire hazard.

Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem for me, or can I create a pipe with bends in it? Also, anything else that I'm not considering would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Does the stove have a brand name and manufacturer you can contact for proper recommended venting practices? May be approved for a specific type of venting/chimney. There are fire code and building code and insurance company issues you should find out from your local authorities and insurance agent. I would be concerned about proper overfire draft and creosote buildup in any horizontal pipes and the difficultly of cleaning them. Potential lawsuit if there is a fire later and a new homeowner sues you for altering it and not having it inspected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.