Wiring Up A Thermostat To New Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

wiring up a thermostat to new furnace

i bought a brand new goodman 96% propane furnace, on the panel of the furnace there is Y W R G C in that order, on the honeywell thermostat there is G Y W Rc Rh, the Rc & Rh have a jumper. i know to hook the thermostat up i put red to Rc (which is jumped to Rh), green to G, blue to Y, white to W. but i dont know what goes to C on furnace. owners manual shows wiring diagram on furnace an it looks like a humidifier or dehumidifier hooks to C but not sure. anyone have a idea? i can get more ifo on furnace model if ya need that.

Advertisement

illumastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 518

C is used if you have AC or a 24 volt humidiifier. With AC wires to the outdoor unit go on Y and C.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #3

perfect!!!!!!! thanks, i never thought of AC unit because i dont have one yet,, was kinda sure of humidifier though,,, thanks again
Old 09-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #4

ok next question, got furnace installed an ready to hook up vent pipes, manual is confusing on the size an length of pipe to use, not sure if manual is referring to inches or feet as it don't say for length. here is the measurements from furnace to outside, 40" up from furnace to 90 long sweep elbow then 70" to outside, total of 9', once outside it is just straight as pipe is more then 12" off ground. i dont know if it takes 2" or 3" pipe? intake is about the same as exhaust but a few feet more as it's on other side of furnace an same elbow inside but outside there are 2 90 elbows. i can take a pic of chart in manual if that helps any?
Old 09-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,652

C is also used to power the thermostat, to keep from having to replace the batteries as much. Most thermostats that use C for power to the thermostat, just use the batteries for backup if power goes out.

On this install, where do you live? Most places require a licensed HVAC tech and possibly a building inspector to make sure that there are no issues from Carbon Monoxide and that the unit is properly installed per mfg spec's and building codes.

Just really need the mfg & model# of the furnace, since the HVAC techs on here, have access to those manuals.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

furnace is a goodman 96%, model MSS961005CN
Old 09-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 5,362

Are you sure that isn't GMSS96

Must be a big house for that size furnace.
gregzoll (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #8

yea gmss96, old furnace was a 100,000 btu one so replacing it with the same size
Old 09-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumastorm View Post
yea gmss96, old furnace was a 100,000 btu one so replacing it with the same size
Was the old one also 96% furnace? And did the old one run 24/7 on the coldest nights.
gregzoll (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #10

old one was a fuel oil one,, no idea on how it ran, bought this house this summer an gonna be first winter here,, one furnace was a bomb waiting to go off so thats why i removed it an replacing it.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumastorm View Post
old one was a fuel oil one,, no idea on how it ran, bought this house this summer an gonna be first winter here,, one furnace was a bomb waiting to go off so thats why i removed it an replacing it.
Okay. Being oil, it was probably barely 80% efficient. So if it was 100,000 BTUs input. It was only 80,000 BTUS output. Your new one is 96,000 BTUs output. So its actually 20% bigger then the old oil furnace. And needs to move a lot more air then the old one did(oil furnaces have a lot higher allowable temp rise across the heat exchanger then gas does). Your duct system may not be sized big enough for your new furnace.

Do you have central A/C.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,652

Beenthere, I am thinking the same thing on heat rise. He may find that it will get pretty toasty in the house. Now if the house is really leaky. He may end up losing a lot of it to the outside, or always having the unit run on lower temps.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,360

An oversized furnace, hooked to undersized duct, will result in a furnace that cycles on the limit switch. Depending on how mismatched it is, the furnace can fail to work at all or die a very early death.
Best to do a load calc and see what you really need in terms of BTU.

www.loadcalc.net

Most of those old oil furnaces had horribly undersized duct. Plus there is the differance of going to a condensing furnace, as was mentioned above.
roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #14

already ahead of you guys, have new ductwork in place an it's sized to match the furnace. now back to my original question, the owners manual doesn't say if measurements are in inches or feet. i only need to go about 9' to outside, is 2" pipe big enough or do i go to 3"? thats the only thing i dont know about this furnace but if manual was printed clearly then i wouldn't be here. if you dont know the answer stay off my post an wait for someone to reply that DOES know. making all those other comments do you no good. thanks
Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

The manual does state its in feet.

Our posting additional questions/info does help us, and is intended to help you.

Congratulation on putting in proper sized duct for that new furnace. Not many would know to use either 10"x28" or 8"x38" duct, if its at one end of the house.

Advertisement