Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a Ruud RGTK-06E series furnace for 2-ton cooling

I’m trying to determine if the air handler can be wired for use in an existing 2-ton cooling system. Since I would need approximately 800 CFM for cooling, is there a way to use the same motor winding (M-LO) for both high fire and cooling? I’m using a 2-stage thermostat, and anticipating this change because the HI motor winding, which is factory connected to COOL, supports a 3-ton system (1300 CFM). Of course, the final settings for all the motor speeds would be determined by measuring the amount of superheat during cooling and the heat rise during heating.

Without seeing a schematic for the IFC board, I don’t know if it’s okay to simply jumper the COOL terminal to the HEAT terminal. The HI and M-HI motor windings would not be used, and the LO and M-LO windings would be connected to the LOW and HEAT terminals on the IFC board, respectively.

Last edited by bolo_invictus; 01-23-2010 at 06:53 PM.
bolo_invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,394

800 cfm is MINIMUM and I doubt if it will be enough. You will also have to check the temp rise thru the furnace on both heat stages and adjust the fan speeds accordingly. May need to bump them up. You may get a bit better dehumidifying with a lower cooling speed but I doubt if you will know the difference in the long run. If you minimum size the cooling fan you can have a freezeup/coil icing/liquid slugging problem as the filter plugs up and on cool days etc. I would use the M-Hi for the cooling to be on the safe side and to better get the cooling to the furthest away rooms.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,840

The speed taps you use, will be determined by the static pressure of the duct system.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I think you would need the installation instructions for your furnace to see how or if this can be done. Unfortunately the Rheem site only gives the furnace specifications (which suggests it can, but not how).
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote