Wiring New A/C Condenser - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring new A/C condenser

Hi all. Very new here. Sorry if this question is redundant. I searched but obviously I'm not using the right key words/phrases.

Here's my situation...

Just purchased a forclosed property that sat empty for 3 years. I have an old tempstar single stage furnace that still has some life left in it and I just replaced the condenser and A-coil because the existing condenser was stolen. My cousin is a junior HVAC guy that helped me make all the connections and vaccuum the lines and fill the unit.

When I purchased the new condenser I was unaware of multi-stage features. I bought a York 2 ton 13 seer condenser that is a two stage condenser.

I'm in a position to replace the t-stat and all cabling from end-to-end simply because I haven't refinished the garage ceiling and can use the existing cable to pull new.

My question is, whats the best way to merry this single stage furnace with the two stage condenser keeping in mind that I will likely replace the furnace in the next 3 years with a 2 stage furnace?

I thought I could do it with the t-stat but I am finding t-stats that handle two stage furnaces and single stage A/C...and two stage furnace with two stage condenser...etc. But I'm not seeing t-stats that handle my scenario - single stage furnace with 2 stage A/C. My hope is that I can get a more modern t-stat and make a "field modification" (ie...jump X termianl to Y terminal) to handle my particular scenario.

FWIW- my current t-stat is a Home Depot VT 1005 single/single and probably a good time to replace anyway.

Thanks
Gary

Advertisement

gbishop20012001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

Wiring new A/C condenser

York doesn't make a 2 stage 13 SEER condenser.

Post full model number of condenser.

A 2 stage condenser on a single stage furnace tends not to dehumidify very well when it runs in first stage. If its really a 2 stage condenser, might be better to wire it up to only operate in second stage.

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #3

Wiring new A/C condenser

Sorry about that.....I meant a 2 ton 15 seer unit.

The model is CZE02411B.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Wiring new A/C condenser

Ok, obsoleted model.

Won't get anywhere near 15 SEER with a standard blower.

Get a thermostat that does 2 stage heat and 2 stage cooling. Just wire the heat to W1.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Wiring new A/C condenser

It should say in the manual that came with the condenser how to wire it for both situations
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Wiring new A/C condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
It should say in the manual that came with the condenser how to wire it for both situations

Pretty sure that since it only gets its 15 SEER rating with a VS blower. The manual never included wiring instructions for a single stage multi speed blower.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Experienced HVAC Tech

Wiring new A/C condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere

Pretty sure that since it only gets its 15 SEER rating with a VS blower. The manual never included wiring instructions for a single stage multi speed blower.
Many times they will still show wiring for many options including single stage with multi speed. The manufacturers aren't as dumb as you think and they know that contractors still install mismatched systems or onto older equipment and while it will not get the rated SEER the manufacturer will still work with you to install it right. If it is not in the manual it is on their website or sometimes you will have to just call them and they will give you a clear straight answer
Old 05-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Wiring new A/C condenser

Well, the install manual I downloaded shows nothing about wiring it to a single stage multi speed blower. Never heard of York telling a home owner how to wire up their equipment.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Wiring new A/C condenser

Hey guys -

My junior HVAC cousin WAS able to get it running but it is clearly in single stage mode because when it runs it seems like its barely breathing. I was hoping to figure out a way to get it into the second stage with my current gear which is all single stage stuff - or with a something as simple as a t-stat and some new cabling. As beenthere pointed out I'm concerned with the humidity with it running in the first stage all the time.

I'm looking at the Honeywell VisionPro 8000. I think this would be a good fit. My understanding is that it will handle my current needs - legacy furnace with a more modern 2 stage A/C system - as well as be compatible with a more modern furnace when the time comes.

What do you folks think about Honeywell thermostats? And would this be a good choice given the circumstances?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Wiring new A/C condenser

The 8320 or8321 is ok. He/your cousin needs to wire it to only run in second stage.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Experienced HVAC Tech

Wiring new A/C condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbishop20012001

What do you folks think about Honeywell thermostats? And would this be a good choice given the circumstances?
Honeywell stats are great if you get the right ones so it's a good thing you have a cousin in the business to get you the PRO grade of Honeywell which is actually well made stuff. You could go down to H Depot and get Honeywell stuff there but it is not the same stuff. It is contracted out to a Chinese company and are pieces of junk, the only similarity is the Honeywell name on them so good for you .

Another thermostat that might work well for you is the PRO Vision IAQ, it only need 3 wires between the screen you see and the Equipment Interface Module ( at the unit) so it's great for retrofits because you don't need to run new wire. Plus they have the ability to add lots of other features like a humidifier, dehumidifier, UV light air filter, ect. Also the user screen looks just like the 8000 series

However, the one you have chosen is also an excellent choice.

Hope it goes well for you

Advertisement