Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring on Hunter Analog Thermostat

Hi there,

Hopefully someone can help me. I just bought my house last July, I have a Traine Heat Pump and have been having problems with the thermostat. I would wake up and the house would be 53 degrees one night, even though the thermostat was set to 72, the next night I will wake up to 86 degrees, yes still set at 72. So I decided to replace the thermostat and went with a standard on/off non-programmable Hunter Thermostat. It is
Horizontal Heat & Cool Electronic Thermostat

Model: 40170

While wiring it up last night I found that the wires coming out of my wall were so thick that I could not put the wire in the RH hole along with the jumper wire going to the RC hole. Doing a little jimmying I ended up tying the RH wire to the jumper wire and figuring that would take care of it. Everything else was fine. Last night the temprature remained perfect at 72 degrees, but I noticed that the compressor on my Heat Pump seemed to be running continually. It wasn't blowing air into the house, it was coming on when needed but the compressor, which is just on the other side of my bedroom wall, was continually running.

What have I done wrong? Is it that I tied that RH wire to the jumper wire instead of having the jumper wire and the RH in one hole with the other side of the jumper going into the RC hole?

Help, I am a single mom trying to do the best I can, and I can't afford to hire an HVAC tech.

Thanks,

woo

woomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
30 year tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomama View Post
Hi there,

Hopefully someone can help me. I just bought my house last July, I have a Traine Heat Pump and have been having problems with the thermostat. I would wake up and the house would be 53 degrees one night, even though the thermostat was set to 72, the next night I will wake up to 86 degrees, yes still set at 72. So I decided to replace the thermostat and went with a standard on/off non-programmable Hunter Thermostat. It is
Horizontal Heat & Cool Electronic Thermostat

Model: 40170

While wiring it up last night I found that the wires coming out of my wall were so thick that I could not put the wire in the RH hole along with the jumper wire going to the RC hole. Doing a little jimmying I ended up tying the RH wire to the jumper wire and figuring that would take care of it. Everything else was fine. Last night the temprature remained perfect at 72 degrees, but I noticed that the compressor on my Heat Pump seemed to be running continually. It wasn't blowing air into the house, it was coming on when needed but the compressor, which is just on the other side of my bedroom wall, was continually running.

What have I done wrong? Is it that I tied that RH wire to the jumper wire instead of having the jumper wire and the RH in one hole with the other side of the jumper going into the RC hole?

Help, I am a single mom trying to do the best I can, and I can't afford to hire an HVAC tech.

Thanks,

woo

Thats not a heat pump thermostat.

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

The packaging said it was compatible with heatpumps, and the guy at Lowes said it was the right one...
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

"Y" is the one that sends the low voltage for the compressor. Check for shorts first. Turn the high voltage off at the furnace and heat pump and see if the contactor is stuck closed next. Is the furnace fossil fuel or electric?
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #5

It's electric, and I am embarassed to say I have no idea how to turn off the high voltage at the furnace and heat pump. I thought it was on one big unit.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #6

http://www.hunterfanhq.com/tools/sal...ners/42998.pdf

This stat will not support multistage heatpumps (electric or gas aux heat).

The packaging is misleading since most heatpumps have electric or gas secondary heat. The guy at Lowes was probably only reading the package.

You will need to remove power to your indoor unit and write down or post pictures of the wiring at your indoor unit to correct your wiring.

If you cannot at least remove power to your indoor unit, it may be time to call an HVAC contractor.

Page 5...
This thermostat is designed to work on the following
heating and cooling systems:
Gas – Standing Pilot
Gas – Electronic Ignition
Gas – Fired Boilers
Gas – Millivolt Systems
Oil – Fired Boilers
Oil – Fired Furnace
Electric Furnace
Electric Air Conditioning
Single-stage Heat Pump Systems
This thermostat is not designed for Multi-stage heat pump
systems or 110/220 V baseboard heating systems.
If you are unsure what kind of heating and cooling system
you have, please contact a qualified HVAC Technician for
assistance.
important information

Last edited by Houston204; 03-16-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #7

From what I have been able to determine from getting the model # off of the Heat pump itself this is a single stage heat pump. I could be missing something but I am pretty sure of that. I am at work right now but will post the model number of my furnace as soon as i get home.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #8

The outdoor unit is stage 1 heat.
The electric heat strips would be stage 2 heat.
To control this sytem a multistage heatpump stat is required.

If your old stat had an emergency heat option, or an Aux heat indicator it was a multistage heatpump stat.

A Honeywell RTH3100C is an inexpensive stat capable of dependably controlling a multistage heatpump.

Last edited by Houston204; 03-16-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #9

This is my Heat Pump

http://www.bchydro.com/ecatalog/eCat...id=&sb=3&dir=1

I am not sure what you mean by "electric strips" the inside of the house is forced air. If I need to go out and get a new thermostat, I have no problem doing so, I am just trying to understand as much as possible before I spend more money that I don't have to.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #10

This is the old Thermostat:

http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/tf200fz...r-Failure?sw=1
Old 03-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

As Houston said, that is not the right thermostat.

Your heat pump should have electric aux heat strips in it.

Did you have any wires that you didn't connect to the new stat?

What wires did you connect where?
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #12

Here are the pictures I took while wiring it. The first picture is how the old one was wired. The second picture is the new one. I currently have the breaker shut off and my house is cold until I can figure out what I am going to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring on Hunter Analog Thermostat-img00130-20100315-1641.jpg   Wiring on Hunter Analog Thermostat-img00131-20100315-2120.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #13

Oh and there were 2 other wires still back in the wall that were not connected at all.. one was brown and the other was black I believe.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Pic of new stat doesn't show all the wires designations.

Post better pic.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #15

Did you try moving the little switch to the heat pump position?

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote